PDA

View Full Version : Still confused about GA ramp camping

Sammy
05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
This will be my first visit to Oshkosh and I am very excited and confused at the same time. Excited because I would be flying my Cherokee to the largest gathering of plane nuts in the world and camp right next to the plane. I am also very confused about reservation system. Can you help me answering these questions:

Do I need to reserve camping if I am flying in?
Is there a reservation phone line? How about a number to call to talk to someone who can explain the whole thing?
Do I need to buy the show passes before flying in or are they available onsite?
The show starts on Monday but can I fly in Sunday night?
If I need to leave Wednesday afternoon do I need to make request or can I just fly out after all airshow flying has finished?

Thank you everyone in advance for your help!

Kyle Boatright
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
You can't reserve camping unless you or someone else shows up early, pays for the campsite, and stakes it out.

Dunno about a phone line. What you do is follow the arrival procedures land and park. Then you register (buy your wrist bands which allow you on-site, register for your campsite), set-up camp, and then you're off to the show.

Passes and camping registration are both available on-line and on-site.

You're welcome to fly in on Sunday evening (but during daylight hours). Note - Sunday is a very busy day and the aircraft camping areas *might* be full by then. You never know. Be aware that you could have to land elsewhere and take ground transport to Osh. Small chance, but a possibility. By the way, a Google search should direct you to some on-line resources to gauge parking availability in near real-time.

You can fly out either before or after the airshow on Wednesday.

This forum has a wealth of knowedgable people. If you have more questions, ask 'em.

Jim Clark
05-09-2012, 09:50 PM
Download the NOTAM here: http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120503_notam.html Read it and everything else at www.airventure.org and then if you have questions just ask.

Joe Delene
05-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Get the Notam now & read it over. Make up your 'G.A.C.' sign. Just avoid any mass arrival times, maybe come over Ripon at about 0730 or so. I flew in Monday morning last year & there was still room to camp.

MEdwards
05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Just avoid any mass arrival times, maybe come over Ripon at about 0730 or so.Isn't 7:30am Sunday right in the middle of the "mass arrival" of the Cubs? Maybe not the best time unless you really enjoy slow flight.

[Correction: Rereading msg #42 in the OSH arrivals thread, I see 7:30am Sunday is not a "mass arrival" exactly, but it's still in the middle of the suggested, planned, arrival times for a bunch of Cubs. So my point still stands.]

Sunday evening should be OK, but might be busy. I don't know when the field closes Sunday, but it's in the NOTAM. Yup, most important, read the NOTAM.

Joe Delene
05-10-2012, 06:15 PM
I know pilots can be early-birds, but on the average OSH day I like the early side of the arrival window. You would have to look into mass arrivals on any given day, I think the ATIS should mention it too. I'd be more likely to fly in on an active day also, not a day ahead. This year may be different though.

Mike M
05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Do I need to reserve camping if I am flying in? NO
Is there a reservation phone line? NO NEED TO CALL
How about a number to call to talk to someone who can explain the whole thing? I DON'T KNOW
Do I need to buy the show passes before flying in or are they available onsite? ONSITE
The show starts on Monday but can I fly in Sunday night? YES READ THE NOTAM
If I need to leave Wednesday afternoon do I need to make request NO
or can I just fly out after all airshow flying has finished? READ THE NOTAM

hkyplr18
05-12-2012, 11:55 AM
I fly-in Thursday or Friday before the show. Less traffic and I get to watch everyone land Saturday and Sunday. Usually end up with a better parking spot too.

Jim Clark
05-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Haven't heard back from Sammy so I guess he gt the message to "read the NOTAM". After flying in for 25 years in everything from a TriPacer to a 421 I believe the best plan is to look at the WX and plan accordingly. I always camp and I don't like getting wet so the weatherman plans my arrival and departure. Sammy, if you're still monitoring this thread let us know where your home base is. Better yet put it in your signature, it helps everyone get a perspective on your trip.