PDA

View Full Version : Food at Oshkosh, what kind and how much?

skeeter_ca
05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm taking my teenage son and me to Oshkosh this year. We are camping with minimum equipment, since flying in a large aluminum tube, which means no cooking, utinsels or anything related to eating will be brought. How much should i figure to spend on me and the boy, which is very large, for 7 days of eating at the show and maybe surrounding eaterys? What are going to be the available eating places on the airport or close by? The last time i went to Oshkosh was about 22 years ago and i don't even remember eating.

skeeter

Zack Baughman
05-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Just to be safe, I would budget at least $10 per person per meal. Most food vendors on the grounds have prices similar to a MLB ballpark - $5-$7 for a hotdog, $3 for a bottle of water or soda, etc. That being said, if you can squeeze in a small cooler, perhaps packing some of your equipment in it to save space during the flight, you can buy some ice, some bottled water, a loaf of bread, and some sandwich meat from the campground store here on the grounds and eat on the cheap all week. I've done it before myself.

As for restaurants nearby, we have two pub-type restaurants right on the border of the North 40 - Friar Tucks and the Charcoal Pit. A bit further away (but not much), we have West End Pizza, a Hardies, Durangos Mexican Restaurant, an Arby's, a Subway, and Eaton's Pizza and Sandwich shop. Further down the frontage road are a variety of places to eat such as Applebys, Culvers, McDonalds, Taco Bell, a new Olive Garden, and a few others.

There are many other places to eat, but most of these that I have listed are the closest.

keen9
05-08-2012, 04:02 PM
You can also buy a dirt cheap grill and a foam cooler from the nearby Wal-Mart or Target and leave it in the dumpster when you go.

Kevin O'Halloran
05-08-2012, 04:26 PM
EAA is setting up a food venue on the N40, partnering with Kodiak Jack’s (see http://www.kodiakjacksrestaurant.com/home.php). details are not set in stone, but the expectation is this venue will be open in the morning for breakfast service and the evening for dinner service. Target location is approximately mid-way between the two shower houses on the south side of 9/27 (site planning is already underway).

steve
05-08-2012, 07:43 PM
We camp in the North 40 every year. It's breakfast ($12 buffet) at the Hilton on the north side of 9/27. Usually an apple ($0) or a frozen fruit cup thing ($4) or a brat ($4) purchased on the field for lunch. Plan on up to $25 for dinner depending on the venue.

Kyle Boatright
05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
The answer is "it depends". I don't like to wait in lines for county fair like food (overpriced hotdogs and burgers), and don't mind eating boring food. So I go to the camp store and get a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter. That can provide breakfast and/or lunch for several days. When I'm not in the mood for that, I'll grab a doughnut at the ultralight HQ for breakfast and scrounge for lunch.

I usually eat dinner at the tent just off the grounds on the West side of the field, near the museum. Dinner is <$10 for something tasty, but decidedly unhealthy. Beer is extra. IMO, there are also a couple of dinner places on-site where you can get something pretty good for <$10.

So, if you do it on the cheap, you can survive on $15 a day. I figure I spend $30, counting the beer and the fried cheese curds at the off-site tent.

Hangar10
05-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Fried cheese curds... July seems sooo far away.

FlyingRon
05-09-2012, 08:52 AM
We've brought in food in the past when camping, primarily because we get there early and the food operations are not in full swing, but really, these days, all we bring is coffee and perhaps some breakfast stuff. It's usually not convenient for us to get back to camp for lunch. As stated, the food situation varies from year to year and the EAA has tried various things to increase the variety. As already pointed out there are some "walkable" off site venues (already mentioned as well as LaSeurs, and some others at the North End) plus some food trailers that pull up outside the gates by the ultralight area (good breakfast).

If you're looking for breakfast, don't forget the Tall Pines Cafe. This is operated by the Vintage Volunteers down by the ultralight area and has pretty good breakfast.

If you want to cook at your campsite, you can get just about everything you need at the Scholler camp store.

Treetop_Flyer
05-09-2012, 08:52 AM
As others have mentioned, what you spend on food really depends on your eating habits. If you fly in, your transportation to some of the off-site facilities might be a little bit more limited. And for me...I'm there to see airplanes so I don't like wasting time trying to hike over to the local Applebees. I usually pack food for breakfast (coffee, Pop Tarts, Nutrigrain Bars, etc.). Lunch is almost always over at the Hangar Cafe in Vintage or possibly at one of the big food tents in Aeroshell Square (yes...it will always be Aeroshell Square to me). Dinner is a toss-up based on where I end up around dinner time.

For cost, I always budget $30/person-day. It's worked the past 4-6 years.

Kyle Boatright
05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
If you're looking for breakfast, don't forget the Tall Pines Cafe. This is operated by the Vintage Volunteers down by the ultralight area and has pretty good breakfast.

No doubt, but every time I try and go there, the lines are silly long. There aren't many on-site breakfast options, so Tall Pines and the others get very busy.

FlyingRon
05-10-2012, 07:47 AM
The other option is that you can just volunteer a lot. I can't tell you the number of mystery meat sandwiches I've consumed from Operation Thirst (but they just aren't the same without the jolly rancher candy smooshed in the middle of them). Some of the volunteer groups even have more elaborate dining options.

CheckerBird
05-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Breakfast at the Warbirds Cafe! (traditional American breakfast items, e.g. pancakes, eggs, bacon, biscuits, gravy, coffee, etc).

For lunch, you need to at least go one day to the Seaplane Base and have the Black Angus Beef sandwich, which is served only there... nowhere else at all of AirVenture.

Here's a dining guide from AirVenture 2008... most of it is still relevant info about what kinds of foods are served by the various on-site cafes.
http://www.airventure.org/planning/dining_guide.pdf

MEdwards
05-10-2012, 05:49 PM
For the last couple years there's been a "fine dining" place just south of the Vintage Red Barn. It's a sit-down restaurant and bar. Last year I found it to be good but not great. At least it's different from the stand-in-line places. My steak was only fair, a bit tough for the "fine dining" plastic-ware. Other entrees might be better. A bit expensive, but not "take your breath away" expensive. The bar with outside seating was a pleasant place on the grounds to sit down and have a beer.

infomet
05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I'd never deny the fun of plane camping, but driving in and staying with a family is a great option. I don't know current prices, but I've paid 50-55 the three times I've been. Depending how they charge for a second person, it's pretty reasonable. All my hosts have provided OK to great breakfasts.

Every time I've gone, on FF miles, I've longed for a bike. Could you squeeze two of the little folders into your Al tube? They would give wonderful freedom to go a few miles offsite. They aren't as cheap as Walmart, but you can consider them a front end investment for future shows, even if you fly commercial. Don't forget the pretty good bus service toward town. I've had some great experiences in neighborhood bars. I hit one hot and tired from walking a mile or so with my luggage on a Happy Hour day. When I bought a mug of beer I got a nice free burger!

The people of OSH are GREAT! I've been picked up by strangers, ferried in by my hosts, and even caught rides with bus drivers after their shifts! The tour of the bus barn was a bonus!

The worst of it is that events at night last well beyond bus service and even taxis are in short supply.

I once stopped for directions at a liquor store. the guy said his mom was going near where I was staying and that she'd be glad to take me. She did! Naturally I bought some beer for the house from him.

Another option would be a couple of cheap bikes from Walmart or such. If you can't take them home, give to Goodwill or maybe sell onsite.

I've had some pretty decent meals at the offsite places near the UL field. They seem to be mostly family run and very friendly. Of course NONE of the places onsite are strong on vegetables, so save your fat/starch/sugar allotments before going and don't fight the system.

Not a straight answer, but maybe of some use. I've never had enough time for what I wanted to do, so I'd spend a little more and avoid the camp cooking hassle, although it may well be a bonding time with the kid.

You'll love it!
Wilson

anngray
05-10-2012, 07:07 PM
No doubt, but every time I try and go there, the lines are silly long. There aren't many on-site breakfast options, so Tall Pines and the others get very busy.

Right about lines. There are lots of campers down there and they depend on Tall Pines. The cooks and staff are volunteers and work very hard, but they may not be as speedy as IHOP. Camp store provisions are a good idea. Around the main gate there are usually a church food booth or two, but this varies from year to year with EAA's policy. The food on the grounds is expensive; people complain but it is still expensive every year.

Rotornut
05-10-2012, 10:43 PM
Did anngray just use "speedy" and "IHOP" in the same sentence? It's different at those near my home.

Bikes are available for rent on the field, so not necessary to bring fold-ups, or buy cheapies in town.

As soon as we finish setting up tents, we go to the Pik-n-Sav grocery just north of the field. It's a very nice, full-line store. There is bus service from the campgrounds right to the store and back. We buy stuff that we can put into backpacks and carry it during the day. When you need lunch, you don't need to look for it. You can buy a small grill and coal and cook at your tent for a pretty cost-effective way. If you don't want to consider bringing any of the gear you'll need, you might contact the UPS Store north of the airport. Ship it ahead and let them receive it for a price.

The barn stores really do a decent job, and their prices are reasonable when you consider the venue. The food vendors near the show are typical national chains, and priced so. A meal is going to be $9-10. I've never found a bargain, but the ice cream cones are pretty cheap and full of calories.:thumbsup:

Many of the off-airport restaurants really try to welcome you. (Aww, they love us, it's got to be their best profits of the year.) The prices seem typical for the midwest, so not too bad. The tents just on the north of the field, outside airport boundaries, are a decent meal for the money, as mentioned earlier, and often have a band.

I second the suggestion of going to the seaplane base. For a really good meal and evening, go the the Seaplane Pilots Assn. cornroast dinner. One price for dinner and beer. There are also many dinners hosted by type-clubs and vendors, priced at reasonable to free. Spend some hours googling in advance, and you could save a bit of cash.

When all else fails, spend money and enjoy. It's OSH!

Sawdust
05-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Based on the past four years attending with my son, I've planned $8 per person for lunch on the grounds. Then we splurge every afternoon and get a root beer float. Total food expense for the 9 day trip has been right about $350, including meals on the road during the 20 hour drive each way. We drive from Houston with a fully loaded Suburban and stay at Camp Scholler, so we cook breakfast and dinner at camp. We bring most of our food from home packed in dry ice, but even the groceries at the Camp stores are reasonable.

genekent
05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
There is a large Goodwill store about a mile(?) north of Wittman Field. You can probably find it on Google. They have had lots of bikes for sale at very reasonable prices, before the event.

Kevin O'Halloran
05-29-2012, 10:57 AM
nothing like getting a few friends together around the camp site and cooking up a pan of shrimp creole

steveinindy
05-29-2012, 11:09 AM
That's a "pan" of shrimp creole in much the same way an A380 is an airliner. LOL

I'm not going to make it this year but perhaps next year, we can work out a trade of some of your shrimp creole for some of my from scratch spaghetti sauce over homemade chicken and three-cheese tortellini? If there's one thing I love more than airplanes it's cooking and the last time I made sauce and tortellini it resulted in a near fistfight over the last bowlful (note: never get between firefighters and food).

WingsAloft
06-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Consider slipping trail mix into your backpack for lunch. Get the real kind, with dried fruit and nuts. It really is quite healthy, inexpensive, provides more than enough energy to really get you around (trust me), takes up little hassle and space, saves time, and is tasty, too. Though I've never been to Oshkosh, I've been to other walk-a-million-miles-in-the-sun type events, and let me tell you, you won't know the difference between trail mix and a really nice lunch when there's so much to look at! (In fact, I have often forgotten to eat altogether!) Sometimes I also bring m&ms (if it's not too hot). I've never regretted doing this. But water! Oh, please don't forget water!

Inspector Fenwick
06-16-2012, 07:12 PM
I have not read this entire thread, but have read most of it. Please know this. You can only survive three days on brats and Cokes, this has been proven in survival studies. Soon, Oshkosh Scurvy sets in, and the mere thought of an orange or a piece of lettuce will drive you insane. You will become incapacitated, unable to function, your hair will fall out, your skin will turn green, you will start foaming at the mouth. Just look around you and you will see the unfortunate wretches who have fallen victim to this dread decease, laying in the bushes, cast aside by their fellow man, clutching a bag a french fries, screaming for their mommy.

Zack Baughman
06-16-2012, 07:14 PM
I have not read this entire thread, but have read most of it. Please know this. You can only survive three days on brats and Cokes, this has been proven in survival studies. Soon, Oshkosh Scurvey sets in, and the mere thought of an orange or a piece of lettuce will drive you insane. You will become incapacitated, unable to function, your hair will fall out, your skin will turn green, you will start foaming at the mouth. Just look around you and you will see the unfortunate wretches who have fallen victim to this dread decease, laying in the bushes, cast aside by their fellow man, clutching a bag a french fries, screaming for their mommy.

THAT is the funniest thing I've read in a long while! Thanks for the sense of humor Larry! :P

malexander
06-16-2012, 07:19 PM
I have not read this entire thread, but have read most of it. Please know this. You can only survive three days on brats and Cokes, this has been proven in survival studies. Soon, Oshkosh Scurvey sets in, and the mere thought of an orange or a piece of lettuce will drive you insane. You will become incapacitated, unable to function, your hair will fall out, your skin will turn green, you will start foaming at the mouth. Just look around you and you will see the unfortunate wretches who have fallen victim to this dread decease, laying in the bushes, cast aside by their fellow man, clutching a bag a french fries, screaming for their mommy.

Yeah, you said in another thread that you people watch. You can tell what they eat.......can't ya?:)

Inspector Fenwick
06-16-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, you said in another thread that you people watch. You can tell what they eat.......can't ya?:)

It is worse than that. I, myself, have suffered this malady. It was many years ago. I ran amuck the the Classic's parking area one night. The next morning they found me passed out in the Tall Pines Cafe, surrounded by 32 Orange Juice boxes. Of course, since I already got the disease, I am now immune. (And I bring some fruit to sell to my friends when I see the onset of the scurvy....so stop by at Interstate I 195 and buy a $20 orange.....you will think it is a bargain).

rustyr
07-15-2012, 03:39 PM
i get to come this year Larry. Looking forward to visiting with you. Im planning to arrive Mon, but it could be Tue if i have any mechanical issues

Inspector Fenwick
07-15-2012, 04:09 PM
i get to come this year Larry. Looking forward to visiting with you. Im planning to arrive Mon, but it could be Tue if i have any mechanical issues

Mechanical issues? Bite yer tongue, Rusty.

Antique Tower
07-15-2012, 04:46 PM
The healthiest food at Airventure: the cafeteria at the UW dorms - Blackhawk Commons or something like that.

Take the dorm bus (I think $1.00 each way) and the cafeteria is a stone's throw from the bus stop.

My wife is hard over about natural food for our children - she had a long talk with the chef there one day. They cook all-natural, mostly. It's buffet style. Breakfast is the best - I think $10.00 to get in, all you can eat and drink. Seems like supper was $16.

dbarnes612
07-15-2012, 04:57 PM
The closest thing to a reasonably priced balanced meal on the grounds is at the Ace's Cafeteria. It's nothing to write home about, but you might find a spaghetti dinner or ham with scalloped potatoes and green beans. Pretty sure you can get a hot breakfast there, also.

I generally start the day with fresh donuts at the Classic Cafe and take a root beer float break at the Twin Oaks Food Court in the afternoon.

The 2008 dining guide PDF that someone else posted earlier in this thread is a great resource for getting a general idea of what's available on the field and what it costs.

There's a big feast out at the Seaplane base that's fun (and just once during the week, not daily, as I recall).

A mile or so east of the field, on the short of Lake Winnebago, the waitresses on roller skates at Ardy & Ed's Drive In are friendly, the burgers are perfectly fine and the arrivals for runway 27 are pretty much right overhead.

Just northwest of the field is LaSure's, a tiny restaurant with great breakfasts. You can take the bus to the North 40 plane camping area and walk to LaSure's from there.

Those are my favorites.

helplessmammal
07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Anyone know if the Grey Fox restaurant in the mall still in operation? Been awhile since I had last been to Oshkosh but I remember they have a really nice mall on the river there.