PDA

View Full Version : cubs2oshkosh for the 75th

Rick Rademacher
08-01-2011, 06:33 AM
After talking with Harry Mutter, Steve Krog, Clyde Smith and others at Oshkosh, it’s a go for the 75 anniversary of the Piper Cub next year, 2012.

From AirVenture News & Views

“Now that we’re near the end of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2011, it’s time to relax, catch our collective breath…and start planning for AirVenture Oshkosh 2012!

Actually, advance planning for next year—the 60th convention of the Experimental Aircraft Association—is already well underway.

Leading off the list of themes and attractions is the 75th anniversary of the Piper Cub, and the goal, according the Adam Smith, EAA vice president of membership, will be “to create a sea of yellow” with visiting Cubs.”

I am a happy camper! Now is the time to organize the maximum effort for cubs2oshkosh. At the MERFI fly in at Grimes Field Urbana, Ohio, Cub owners from over five states with gather to discuss the flight to Oshkosh and what we would like to see take place next year.

In response to my letters of invitation to MERFI, one Cub owner said that his cub hasn’t been out of the barn for over 45 years. Now is the time to get that Cub back in the air for the 75th anniversary next year.

Please visit www.merfi.com (http://www.merfi.com/) for more information about the Cub planning meetings this September. The www.cubs2oshkosh.com (http://www.cubs2oshkosh.com/) will be up in operation soon.

Adam Smith
08-01-2011, 04:54 PM
Rick... this was great to read. I stand ready to assist from the EAA side and could potentially attend your meeting at MERFI, if you can avoid having it on Sept 11.

PA12Flyer
11-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Is this only open to J3's?

Rick Rademacher
11-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Specifically, this is the 75th anniversary of the J-3 Piper Cub. However, a Cub is a Cub is a Cub. So, all Cubs, of all colors, are invited to participate. The more the merrier.
Everyone, please feel free to participate and be a part of this historic event!

There are over 90 Cubs of all shapes and sizes that are now on www.cubs2oshkosh.com (http://www.cubs2oshkosh.com) . See who from your area is going to participate. Remember, can you wait another 25 years to have fun with your Cub? Don’t delay becoming a part of this great adventure. Every Cub owner is welcome!

Chad Jensen
11-21-2011, 07:21 PM
It's gonna be a fantastic celebration! Can't wait to see a sea of Cubs!!

Frank Giger
11-27-2011, 06:49 AM
EAA will make a bundle on handkerchiefs as there won't be a dry eye looking at all those Cubs.

Bill Greenwood
11-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Everyone knows that a J3 is the only real Cub. The Super Cub, which you fly from the front seat was really an extension made from the real Cub so that jet pilots might fly these and not whine so much about not being able to see the runway straight ahead.
Once you start the progression of saying, Oh its too hard to see out of the back seat of a real Cub, so now I want to sit in the front, the next step is then you need a nose wheel airplane, perhaps like a Tri Pacer, or a Cessna. The next step is you got to have an autopilot and then a jet engine, then a tv screen on the panel so you can watch Days of Our Lives or Oprah, and where does it end? You might as well be a stewardess, or as they call them now Flight Attendant.
However, besides J3 Cub pilots being great flyers, we are also magnanamous and welcoming to almost all, so that if someone wanted to bring a Super Cub to Oshkosh next year they could probably do so.
Super Cubs do have their uses, from towing gliders as they do at Boulder or maybe if you are the Palin family and want to haul 150 lbs of elk meat back from a hunting trip.

Frank Giger
11-28-2011, 05:45 AM
:)

Humph.

If I wanted to fly from the backseat I'd be my own wife.

I may go to Oshkosh for this just to wave an engine starter at the J3 owners and watch them recoil in horror.

Bill Greenwood
11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
I've got to give you credit, Frank, that's pretty good and one I had not heard before.

Rick Rademacher
01-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Happy New Year and welcome to the Year of the Piper Cub. With only 199 days till AirVenture 2012, and less for many other flying venues, it’s time to make that Cub airworthy. As I stated in the January/February Cub Club newsletter, let’s think about participating in several maximum effort missions this year.

I encourage everyone to talk up their favorite landing strip for inclusion on the map of Cub gathering/stopping locations. While airports with grass, food, interesting attractions, and several Cubs on the field are desired, airports with motivated aviators who have the desire to be included will be listed in some fashion. Cub flyers can then pick and choose the locations that best meet their desired flight plan for the missions.

If your Cub location is misplaced on the map (www.cubs2oshkosh.com (http://www.cubs2oshkosh.com)), please contact me with the correct location. As soon as the EAA finalizes some of their plans, I will spread the word on this site. Many activities are in the works that will make AirVenture 2012 unforgettable, one that Cub flyers should make a maximum effort to attend.

Rick Rademacher
01-21-2012, 04:08 PM
This last fall, the planning group for the 75th anniversary of the J-3 Piper Cub set a planning goal of 200 Cubs at AirVenture 2012. As of today, over 200 Cub owners are on www.cubs2oshkosh.com (http://www.cubs2oshkosh.com/). Most of them are committed to the flight this summer to Oshkosh. It’s a half year away! If this is only the tip of the iceberg so to speak, I may have to call the EAA staff and tell them to make a lot more room available for Cub parking and have additional seats for the Cub dinner.

I would ask the Cub historians out there as to when over 200 Cubs gathered at one location. If the weather is good, we could easily have over three hundred Cubs or more! I might have to contact the Guinness Book of World Records.

It’s interesting reading about the Cubs and their owners on www.cubs2oshkosh.com (http://www.cubs2oshkosh.com/) . Many have owned their Cub since new, sixty-five to seventy five years ago. Several of the Cubs have been passed down through the generations to stay in the family. One young lady who lives overseas is coming back to the U.S. this summer to ride in a Cub with her dad to Oshkosh. A few, new to the Cub, think this will be an adventure of a lifetime that they are not going to miss.

If there is a Cub in your neighborhood that is going, think about a flight of two. Let’s all encourage every Cub owner to join with us for the flight. If you don’t own a Cub, now is the time to purchase one. If you own one, make every effort to attend. Remember, all Cubs are invited to AirVenture 2012.

Let's make it 300!

Rick Rademacher
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
When I attend flying events with the Cub, I always have something to give to kids that will help them remember the name of my aircraft. If I don’t have enough Cub tattoos, I give them a Piper Cub paper model that they can build. The Cub Club supplies me with the tattoos and I print the Piper Cub on #67 cardstock using the model found on www.fiddlersgreen.ne (http://www.fiddlersgreen.net)t
(http://www.fiddlersgreen.net)
Until 2/10, you can download the Piper Cub model for FREE. The obsolete version only requires one sheet. The new version that takes three sheets is better. At AirVenture, I want to have both the tattoos and paper Cubs available to give to thousands of kids! If this doesn’t take place at Kids Venture, it will take place near Cubs someplace on the field.

Please take advantage of this FREE offer and be prepared for many kids on this the 75th anniversary of the Piper Cub. Go to www.fiddlersgreen.net (http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/) for the FREE download today and have fun this year!

Rick Rademacher
03-15-2012, 10:31 AM
If I were an aviation mechanic working on magnetos, I would be concerned about timing issues. As you read about the scheduling of events for the Cubs at AirVenture this year, the timing might look a little bit off for the Cub mass flight into Oshkosh. Every pilot knows that they must be flexible as aircraft parts fail at the wrong time and the weather constantly impacts the timing of launches. So, I am going to overlook this one issue and have a fantastic adventure at both Hartford and Oshkosh while participating in all of the planned events.

As this information is hot of the press, I hope you don’t mind this message to encourage you to go to www.cubs2oshkosh.com (http://www.cubs2oshkosh.com) to download the pdf file in the Flight Document Section that contains the Cub Club registration for all of the events at Hartford on Friday and Saturday. They are selling cool looking shirts. We all need to wear Cub shirts every day at AirVenture. Just to let you know, all Cub pilots who fly to AirVenture will receive a name tag lanyard identifying you to the masses.

In the Mass arrival at Oshkosh forum, the latest details on the mass arrival received from the EAA will be listed. And in the Cub activities on the field, the tentative schedule of Cub events will be posted.

There are now almost 300 on the cubs2oshkosh web site. Cubs will have fun this year!

Rick Rademacher
04-13-2012, 07:53 AM
With 100 days to go until AirVenture 2012, I thought I might run through some thoughts of mine for the trip so that you might point out something I may have missed. There is still time to make changes and add those things that will make the trip more interesting and enjoyable. As of yesterday, the EAA has made some significant changes to the plans.

My Cub has a fresh annual and will be flown to several Cub 75th anniversary adventures before Oshkosh. My flying skills should thus be honed and ready for the mass flight into Oshkosh. I would hate to bounce too many times in front of my fellow Cub flyers.

I have sent my registration for Hartford to the Cub Club and ordered several shirts from them. As I still have many yellow Cub shirts purchased from the Piper Aviation Museum several years ago, I will be able to wear a Cub shirt every day at Oshkosh. Everyone will know what aircraft I love to fly. If you don’t have enough Cub shirts, you may purchase more from the Cub Club and or the Piper Aviation Museum.

I am starting to plan the Urbana route with help and suggestions from others. I want to be part of a large flight of Cubs from Urbana, Ohio to Oshkosh. I am still debating whether I want to take the shore line route around Chicago. Have traveled that route many times in a Luscombe, Cessna 182 and 210, but the Cub is slow, thus my time over water would be long. Use the map on cubs2oshkosh to coordinate plans with other Cub owners near you.

The EAA has scrapped the mass Cub flight that was to have taken place on Monday at 5 P.M. Instead, Steve Krog, of the Cub Club will direct a measured flight of all Cubs on Sunday. I will post the details of his plans on www.cubs2oshkosh.com (http://www.cubs2oshkosh.com) as soon as everything is finalized. I am in complete agreement with this change as it should make for a safer flight into Oshkosh for everyone. I would encourage you to participate in the great Saturday night Cub dinner in Hartford, and then fly with many, many Cubs on Sunday into Oshkosh.

The Wednesday night Cub dinner in Oshkosh will now be a part of the Vintage festivities to be held in the Nature Center pavilion that same night. Tickets can be purchased at Hartford and will cost $10 per person. This is another reason to stop at Hartford.

Cub historians are looking into previous Cub gatherings to help determine if this year’s gathering at Oshkosh might make history. There should be over 250 Cubs on the field this year which, at the very least, would make it an Oshkosh record. Let’s make it hard for the Cubs in 2037(the 100th anniversary) to break our record!

Kevin O'Halloran
04-15-2012, 08:47 AM
"As I still have many yellow Cub shirts purchased from the Piper Aviation Museum several years ago, I will be able to wear a Cub shirt every day at Oshkosh"

Rick
You have nothing on the C2Osh guys--rumor has it they go the full week wearing the SAME C2Osh shirt, socks and underware:D

running for cover
Kevin with B2Osh

TeenDoc
04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
You have nothing on the C2Osh guys--rumor has it they go the full week wearing the SAME C2Osh shirt, socks and underware:D
C'mon Kevin, now everyone knows our secret. :D

Rick Rademacher
04-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Having a super time in my hanger watching the big birds fly over my open hanger door !

Janet Davidson
06-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Just completed the condition inspection (thank you Andy & NewView), & new bendy prop installed for 2012 & the Cubs2Oshkosh :rollseyes:

Roger Janssens
07-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Rick,

I hope you can clarify the following: in the announcement on the main airventure.org page (http://www.airventure.org/news/2012/120703_cubs2osh-hartford.html) it says:
"Sunday is the big flight to AirVenture Oshkosh, beginning at 6 a.m. with 75 Cubs flying in trail for a scheduled arrival of 6:30 a.m. at Wittman Regional Airport. After that groups of four aircraft totaling between 100 and 125 planes will make their way to Oshkosh, scheduled to all arrive by 9:30-10 a.m."
So does that mean you are expecting 175 to 200 Cubs to take off from Hartford between 6 and 10 a.m. on the Sunday morning? Yippee, I think I'll have to get me a spot right next to the take-off holding point and photograph all of those one by one! (Oshkosh itself is no good for arrivals photography in the morning.)

Good luck and safe flying,

Roger

Rick Rademacher
07-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Everyone asks me how many Cubs will be at Oshkosh this year.Over 100 have signed up for the Cub Club dinners at Hartford and more than 200 on Cubs2oshkosh have expressed their desire to fly a Cub to Oshkosh this year. Is this just the tip of the iceberg so to speak?

I have talked to many Cub owners who are still not on Cubs2oshkosh or haven’t sent in a registration for Hartford. So, how many will be at Hartford to leave Sunday morning?

The deciding factor will be the weather. As almost all Cub pilots can’t file IFR and as Cubs are so slow, nasty weather can disrupt the best of our plans. If the weather cooperates, I believe at least 150 Cubs will be on hand to launch from Hartford to Oshkosh that Sunday morning with more arriving at Oshkosh later in the week.

Please be there to take pictures as this launch may be the largest until 2037 for the 100 year anniversary of the J-3 Cub.

Roger Janssens
07-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for your reply, Rick!

WeaverJ3Cub
07-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Oh boy, this looks like too much fun! :)

I've got to find a way to get over there......

Good luck guys. Keep up the good work.

Rick Rademacher
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Please visit www.cubs2oshkosh.com (http://www.cubs2oshkosh.com/) for current information on Hartford and Oshkosh. New details have been posted. Everyone who is driving up from Hartford to Oshkosh Sunday morning had better look up or duck.

Rick Rademacher
07-19-2012, 07:38 AM
If it isn’t the weather, it‘s always something that makes it a little bit harder to fly when I desire. The work crew has cautioned me that there is a 4 inch drop to the gravel base. I told them I sometimes drop the Cub onto the runway from a greater height.

If they start to lay asphalt tomorrow, my timing has to be just right if I want to leave for Oshkosh. As the weather now looks iffy for tomorrow, I may leave Saturday before they lay the final coat.

Paul Hayden
07-19-2012, 07:57 AM
hey, by chance are any of you guys running video cameras?

I'm chairman of AirVenture Streaming Media (aka the web cam guys) and we are looking for AirVenture 2012 related video to maybe fill in some blanks in our streaming schedule. Originally we tossed around the idea of running a live streaming camera out of Hartford, but we just didn’t have enough time. But if anybody will have video of flying in or out of hartford and or Oshkosh this year, and would be willing to share it to the world please let me know. I also have a small GoPro camera if somebody would be interested in flying that around and as luck would have it, I live in hartford so it should be easy to coordinate.

Let me know if anybody is interested.

Thanks,
Paul Hayden
AirVenture Streaming Media Chairman

Rick Rademacher
07-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Paul,

I will be using a GoPro Hero2 for my flight to Hartford and then to Oshkosh. You are welcome to use anything I take.

Rick

Todd Ritzman
07-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Paul,I will be using a GoPro Hero2 for my flight to Hartford and then to Oshkosh. You are welcome to use anything I take.Rick Thanks Rick, that is greatly appreciated. ToddCo-Chairman Streaming Media

Rick Rademacher
07-21-2012, 07:20 AM
Left Grimes with 4 J-3 Cubs around 1 P.M. after a weather delay and arrived at Hartfort at dusk with only 3 Cubs.

Rick Rademacher
07-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Number 4, John G made it to Hartford this morning and will join the mass of Cubs for the flight to Ohskosh.

Janet Davidson
07-22-2012, 04:43 AM
Spent some time at HXF yesterday afternoon. What a fabulous atmosphere & great to see the sea of yellow. Watching out for the mass arrivals here this morning. I hope everyone gets in safe & sound. I don't see any movement in the trees so nice smooth air for a beautiful flight :)

Rick Rademacher
07-31-2012, 07:34 AM
50% of my time at Oshkosh this year was spent on giving kids ground instruction in my J-3 Cub parked by the Federal Pavilion. Kids and their parents now know the name of this famous aircraft and where the fuel gauge is located. Pictures taken by parents and the Piper Cub tattoos hopefully will remind everyone of this aircraft and encourage some to fly a Piper Cub or other light aircraft.

I had as much or more fun than the kids who set in my Cub.