PDA

View Full Version : getting ready for Oshkopsh and what to take

Kevin O'Halloran
04-20-2012, 01:21 PM
As Oshkosh nears, preparations enter a feverish pitch. Camping equipment, inspected and laid out next to the plane, everything weighed. Coolers ready for the onslaught of ice and liquid refreshment. Tiedowns are prepared and new boards for under the wheels have been cut. Wardrobe is easier with several oshkosh shirts now in hand. A few years ago a fellow traveler shared his trick of bringing less than new apparel for recycling. Wear it and toss it, leaves room to bring new acquired items. The EAA's bargain tent always provides some good deals. Binoculars and handheld radios with plenty of spare batteries for the evening arrival show. Aircraft spruced up, traveling tool kit and parts set out. Oshkosh Notam and taxi signs made up. Endless route planning and the myriad of what if's involved, weather, fuel prices, last minute work issue time constraints, etc.
The usual plethora of plebeian preparations.
The real task of adjusting the body to the epicurean delights of the summer is the most rewarding. Having another beer at night to more assimilate the capacity needed is hardly a disdainful endeavor. The purchase of the first of several packages of Johnsonville Brats to better entice the tastebuds so the cry of "Give me this day my daily Brat" can be deliciously fulfilled by the epitome of gastronomical delights found at many venues throughout the grounds.Communal breakfast and coffee to start each day-less than 100 days to go.
Plenty of Zantac, Pepsid, Prilosec, Tums or Gaviscon will be added to the first aid kit in case a neighbor is ill prepared.

Go out and get a good pair ( or 2) of walking shoes---at least 2 or 3 times a week walk a min of 2 miles. That should get you somewhat ready for the 40 or 50 miles you will walk during Oshkosh.
AND--if there is anything your plane needs--DO IT NOW !!!!--its funny how those little jobs turn into big jobs.
Also start hiding money --you don't want the wife --AKA "the one who must be obeyed" to find out what it really cost to go to Oshkosh for the week

will do another post on what to take

Kevin O'Halloran
04-20-2012, 01:28 PM
part one of list

below is a list of some of the basics to take
Ice chest or folding soft side cooler for beer

Tent--if new --set it up and get it wet

Hammer for tent stakes and tie downs

Inflatable camping mattress - don't forget inflator!

Inflatable pillow or normal pillow

Sheets, blankets or light sleeping bag

Canopy for shade

Plastic tarp

Small bucket and sponge

Garbage bags

Paint brush or small broom to sweep out tent

Clothes pins and camping cord

Folding chairs

Small aluminum folding table

Large hat

Sun block--higher the rating the better

Several pairs of sunglasses

Backpack

Water bottle

Rain jacket or poncho

Kevin O'Halloran
04-20-2012, 01:29 PM
part 2 of list

Cell phone and charger----write down all your important # on a piece of paper--that way if you lose your phone--you will have those numbers

Digital camera and charger

Air band radio - Make P-touch label with OSH Freq's of interest & stick on side

Knife

Mosquito repellant

Lip balm

Pens and notebook for seminars, parts, etc

Camping lantern

Portable fm/weatherband radio

Flashlight and or head light

Duct tape

Disposable plates, cups and utensils

Toilet paper

Mirror

Scissors

Zip lock bags and paper towels

Alarm clock

Basic tools

Baby wipes and hand soap

Shaving kit, tooth brush and paste,shampoo,etc

Several towels

Sandals

OTC medications and any LEGAL drugs you normally take

Blister pads and First aid kit

Aluminum foil

Extra batteries

Ear plugs

Laptop and locking cable

Power source to charge stuff

MP3/CD player with headphones

1"x8x18" boards to park plane on

Tie-downs for plane - not the corkscrew type

Canopy Cover

Pitot Cover

Business cards to give to new friends

EAA,VAA,AOPA etc membership cards

Read OSH NOTAM ( at least 10 times--and not the night before you leave or just before you get to Fisk

Clothes---shorts, t-shirts, socks, underwear, etc + extra in case of weather delays

Multiple pairs of comfortable walking shoes

Waterproof container----a BIG rain storm can get things wet----even inside the tent.

Cool weather stuff----its been known to get down into the 40s at Oshkosh .

Snacks and water in the plane--keep you going until trip to store at Oshkosh
thats about it---some people will want more stuff--some less---this is just a general guide. Good luck---fly safe---if you have bad weather--sit it out---someone will have a cold beer for you when you get there.
Kevin

Bill Greenwood
04-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Kevin, I think Shakelford took less stuff than that to the pole!

MEdwards
04-20-2012, 04:42 PM
getting ready for "Oshkopsh" and what to take
If Kevin could spell, he'd be just about perfect. :)

I second his suggestion of "1x8x18 boards to park plane on." I made mine out of aluminum as Kevin suggested once, and they were completely successful at getting the plane moving at the end of the week. Also found a use for them back home, helping to get the wheels over the bump and the door rails at the hangar threshold.

Mike E

Jim Clark
04-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Been camping in Vintage since 1988 and offer a couple suggestions:1. Don't take extra T-shirts, you're going to buy T-shirts.2. Bring 'Body & Hair' combined shower soap. 1bottle can handle your whole crew. 3. Find a great camp chair that fits in your plane. 4. Spend the money and buy a backpackers cot or buy a bigger airplane. Cot is usually cheaper.

Kiwi ZK-CKE
04-23-2012, 04:33 AM
This is really useful info guys!
I'm currently making plans and saving leave to come and visit Oshkosh in 2013. A big adventure for a New Zealander!
I would be coming via England, as I have family there, and would work the Oshkosh pilgrimage into the return leg. I really like camping (especially with friendly aviation people) and want to get the "Oshkosh experience" Unfortunately travelling by "passenger tube" will severely limit how much stuff I can bring, so I guess I would have to buy a tent, sleeping bag etc somewhere on the way and dispose of it before the return to NZ. does anyone have any other suggestions?
I'd actually like to make contact with some other enthusiasts as I'd love to fly in (preferably in a classic taildragger) with an experienced local. still working out all the details, but OSH2013 is still more than a year away.
Would love to hear more OSH survival tips!

FlyingRon
04-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Oshkosh is pretty lightweight camping if you want it to be. There's no strict requirement that you have much more than your clothes, a tent, and something to sleep on. If you want to retain the stuff, you can probably send it home UPS by slow boat. Starting now I'm sure we can find you a mentor by 2013.

malexander
04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
This is really useful info guys!
I'm currently making plans and saving leave to come and visit Oshkosh in 2013. A big adventure for a New Zealander!
I would be coming via England, as I have family there, and would work the Oshkosh pilgrimage into the return leg. I really like camping (especially with friendly aviation people) and want to get the "Oshkosh experience" Unfortunately travelling by "passenger tube" will severely limit how much stuff I can bring, so I guess I would have to buy a tent, sleeping bag etc somewhere on the way and dispose of it before the return to NZ. does anyone have any other suggestions?
I'd actually like to make contact with some other enthusiasts as I'd love to fly in (preferably in a classic taildragger) with an experienced local. still working out all the details, but OSH2013 is still more than a year away.
Would love to hear more OSH survival tips!

PM sent.

steve
04-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Kiwi,
While riding the city bus downtown for dinner at Roxy's Supper Club back in '09, I chatted with a Bush Caddy builder from NZ. He was a repeat OSH visitor and he preferred staying in the university dorms - low rates and no camping gear needed.

Matt Gonitzke
04-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Kiwi,
While riding the city bus downtown for dinner at Roxy's Supper Club back in '09, I chatted with a Bush Caddy builder from NZ. He was a repeat OSH visitor and he preferred staying in the university dorms - low rates and no camping gear needed.

It's far too late for that this year...those get booked much earlier than this.

malexander
04-23-2012, 08:01 PM
It's far too late for that this year...those get booked much earlier than this.

In his original post, he said he's saving leave & planning for 2013. :)

Sawdust
05-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Ok - this is NOT for you lucky souls who fly in! For those of us who "wheel" in, we can bring a bit more to make camp more comfortable. For us "heavy campers" here's my list for living in luxury at Camp Scholler. For reference, we drive in from Houston, in a Chevy Suburban, so we pack heavy and enjoy ourselves for 9 days of Oshkosh bliss!

Camp Kitchen

Portable Grill

Propane Burner

Propane Tanks

Grill Griddle

BBQ Tools-fork, spatula, tongs, cleaning brush

Cast Iron Skillet, saucepan

Can Opener

Spoon, Ladle, Meat Fork, Knives, Sauce brush

Cutting board

Sponge, Dish Towels

Large Cooler for pantry foods

Large Cooler for meats

Dry Ice

Tin Foil

Freezer Bags

Camp

Shower flip flops

Jackets, Hoodies

Sheets, blankets, pillows

Sleeping Bags

Air Mattresses

Battery powered Inflator for air mattresses

Batteries for inflator, lanterns

Bath Towels

Plastic Tarps

Canopy 10' x 10' with

Tie Down Stakes for canopy

Chairs

Camp Tables

Tent

Clips for hanging towels

USA Flag and Pole

5 gal water bags

Tiny Bungees - all kinds of camp hanging/tie downs

Generator

Generator Gas 5 gal.

Extension cords, power strips

Binoculars

Tent lanterns with batteries

Flashlights - little LED keychain lights

Sun Lotion

Bug Spray

Leatherman Tool

Camp Dry -waterproofer

Zack Baughman
05-16-2012, 08:00 AM
Just to reiterate what others have already said - bring your most comfortable pair of walking shoes, because you WILL be putting a lot of miles on your feet during your visit, and a good pair of shoes can make all the difference in the world. SUNSCREEN! Even on cloudy days, you will be outside 90% of the time and you WILL get a sunburn if you do not protect yourself. I suggest SPF 50 or higher, and a wide brimmed hat or neckerchief to keep the sun off the back of your neck. Getting a lobster burn on the back of your neck on the first day here can really put a damper on the rest of your visit.

To be honest, most everything else can be purchased on site or nearby, so don't worry too much if you forget to pack something.

Zack

Kevin O'Halloran
05-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Kevin, I think Shakelford took less stuff than that to the pole!

We could not take it all in one trip--this is what we dropped off last week
I want to see you Mooney guys do this :D
Kevin02011

steveinindy
05-30-2012, 02:47 AM
I always try to carry a bandana with me it comes in handy for those times I need to wipe sweat from my brow or neck or drool from my chin. Like the time I got to sit in a P-38.....

(I was going to post a link to the picture, but apparently the photographer has taken it out of their Flicker stream. :( )

Kevin O'Halloran
07-12-2012, 07:54 AM
after looking at the long term forcast--think you can leave your cold weather clothing at home. Going to be a HOT Airventure !!!!!
Kevin