PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Wrap - unusual application

Jason50000
03-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi All, I'll appreciate the advice anyone would have. I won't bore you all with the whole story, but I have an unusual application for exhaust wraps. I want to wrap them around a house internal stainless or aluminum chimney. I'm thinking of doing this because I want to then mount a TV in a box close to the chimney. The current situation is there is a wall, 2 inches behind that is a thin board and then 2 inches behind that is the chimney. I want to do this so I can mount the TV on the wall, and recess it also into the wall. Ideally I'd like the back of the board that the TV will be mounted on 1 inch from the chimney.

My questions is, how hot would the chimney get once it is wrapped? If I wrap the chimney (the fireplace doesn't get used that often) and light the fire, will the chimney still heat up to a high level, making my theory unworkable? Thanks in advance, Jason.

vaflier
03-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Jason, go to your local heating supply house. And order some refractory board. And install it between the chimney and the TV. It will block a tremendous amout of heat. It is generally used a lot to line hte inside of boilers to keep the heat away from the metal behind it. Cheap, cuts with a sharp knife and works. Be sure not to breath any dust from it as it is made from silica. Drywall over the front of it to keep it from being disturbed and creating dust. It is not asbestos.

martymayes
03-20-2012, 07:16 PM
If it's a residental structure, run it by your local building inspector. I don't think it will pass cause normally min 2" airspace around a flue is required. Sounds like it has that now.

steveinindy
03-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I don't think it will pass cause normally min 2" airspace around a flue is required.

Without extensive testing, I wouldn't think you would get it approved. Just my two cents as someone with a fair bit of training in arson and fire origins investigation from my time with the volunteer fire department.