PDA

View Full Version : Should i leave Oshkosh on sunday or monday?

skeeter_ca
03-20-2012, 08:52 AM
Booking my airline tickets today and can't decide whether to leave Oshkosh on sunday or monday, July 29th or 30th. Does anything usually happen on the last day or does everyone start to leave that day. I wouldn't want to miss out on anything good on sunday. I called the Nationwide Travelers Bus that goes to Appleton airport and they don't run on monday. So if i stay till then i will have to find other transportation to appleton airport on monday. Any ideas for that?

skeeter

Jeff Point
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
While I'm all for staying as long as you possibly can, you really won't miss much on Sunday. The event is already in "wind down mode," vendors are packing up, 90% of the airplanes are gone and the airshow is pretty minimal. You'd do better to come a day early when the event is still winding up and all the excitement in building.

skeeter_ca
03-20-2012, 09:40 AM
I was planning to arrive on sunday. Hopefully i should be able to get a good tent campsite. looks like the last shuttle to appleton on Sunday is 3pm. That should give me plenty of time to wrap up the day. That is as long as i don't missing the shuttle or it is full. That would suck.

Bill Greenwood
03-20-2012, 10:00 PM
There are taxis to Appleton if you should miss the bus; perhaps a few other ways to hitch a ride also if desperate. I find Sunday morning of some interest as the vendors are required to be still open, and if they have any stock left they will often offer some pretty good discounts. They'd rather sell it than have to pack and haul or ship it back.

steveinindy
03-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I always try to be out of there by noon or so on Sunday but that's solely because there is normally a couple of things I want to do on Sunday morning.

Zack Baughman
03-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Purely my opinion, but if the weather is good, I would leave Sunday evening or wait until Monday. I say that because one of the most enjoyable and relaxing parts of the week is sitting in a chair or standing in one of the Canon photo stands on the flight line and watching planes leave. Sometimes it is the only chance you'll have to see some of the aircraft fly.

Zack

skeeter_ca
03-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Just bought my tickets. They jumped $150 for leaving sunday in one day. So now i bought the tickets for leaving on monday and unfortunately i'm arriving on Monday, the first day of the airshow. I bet it will be plenty hectic trying to find a camp stop. So i will be working on finding a ride from oshkosh to appleton on monday

Bill Greenwood
03-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Skeeter, you are likely not the only one leaving on Mon. am so when you get there ask around or even post a note looking for someone who might give you a ride up to APPL. There are also courtesy buses or vans that go from some of the hotels up to the airport at Appl. They are supposed to be for the customers staying at the hotel, but what driver can't use an extra $25. Also of course there are taxis, which is likely the surest way.

malexander
03-21-2012, 11:15 AM
What time Monday do you arrive? I'll be in OSH at Sleepy Hollow Campground. Give me a call. I'll take you APPL.

Marshall Alexander (405) 417-6077c

skeeter_ca
03-21-2012, 11:41 AM
I'll be coming into appleton at 9am. not sure how long it will take to get to the show. If you mean on leaving the show on monday the 30th, i have a flight at 4pm.

malexander
03-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Do you need a ride back to Appl Monday evening, or are you going to stay at OSH all week? I leave OSH, headed home, Sat morning, the 28th.
I probably misread something. I was thinking you were coming into OSH the 23rd, & needed a ride to Appl Mon evening.

steveinindy
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Purely my opinion, but if the weather is good, I would leave Sunday evening or wait until Monday. I say that because one of the most enjoyable and relaxing parts of the week is sitting in a chair or standing in one of the Canon photo stands on the flight line and watching planes leave. Sometimes it is the only chance you'll have to see some of the aircraft fly.

Zack

Yeah, I got to witness Fifi's departure last year solely because of a delay in leaving. The folks from the NBAA booth let me sit in there, cool off, watch the planes and help reduce their stockpile of candy and sodas before they left. That was the only time I really bothered to watch the activities on the flightline since to be honest I don't enjoy aerobatic performances.

malexander
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
That was the only time I really bothered to watch the activities on the flightline since to be honest I don't enjoy aerobatic performances.

I'm not much on the aerobatics either. Once you've seen one..................well<shrug>. They're all about the same. Best part about the airsow portion is that the hangars aren't quite as full of people.

steveinindy
03-21-2012, 01:57 PM
I'm not much on the aerobatics either. Once you've seen one..................well<shrug>. They're all about the same. Best part about the airsow portion is that the hangars aren't quite as full of people.

Amen to that. I remember pointing out a few years back at Oshkosh that I find standard operations at a commercially served airport to be more interesting to watch than an airshow involving the top performers on the planet. People looked at me like I was from another planet.

Honestly, I believe that a lot of folks who watch aerobatics are doing so simply in the hopes of seeing a crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxcWRmUJ4xk&amp;feature=related

They just use the "artistry" or "skill" of the pilots as a justification. It's like someone saying they like to watch boxing because of the "sport of boxing"......no they go to watch someone get the crap kicked out of him but that's not socially acceptable to admit.

skeeter_ca
03-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Yes, actually we, my son and i will need to find a ride to appleton airport on monday july 30. The plane leaves at 4pm so i would probably need to get there by at least 2pm. If your volunteering i would love it. If that's to much i understand. Maybe somebody else could help as a possible backup in case something happens.

skeeter_ca
03-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Oh, i just reread your post and you are leaving on sat. I guess that wouldn't work. Maybe i'll find someone else. Gotta be somebody going back on monday.

skeeter

Lindberg
03-30-2012, 11:20 AM
If you enjoy watching rats flee a sinking ship, then staying Sunday is for you. For me it kinda of depressing, yet I would still encourage anyone who can only attend on Sunday to do so. There will be plenty of room to camp and diminished crowds. Maybe even more bargains on whatever is left to sell. Watch for the signs of relief on the Oshkosh locals. They will be there to make sure the gate does not hit you on your maximus gluteus when you leave. Having said that, I have many Oshkosh friends who at least appear happy to see me when I first arrive and I know that many locals enjoy the event and what comes with it. It is a hardship for many others.

FlyingRon
03-31-2012, 02:36 PM
We always stay until Monday. We help pack up the Vintage Parking building, return all the rental scooters and carts, and then head over to the volunteer dead dog party.