PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Accomodation

flyag
03-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Suggestions with accomodation needed. Wife and I are coming to Oshkosh for the first time from Australia and struggling to find reasonable accomodation. Is Green Bay to far to travel each day as there is reasonably priced accom there or do we pay more and stay in Fond du lac to be closer. Appleton appears to be booked solid. Difficult decission having never been to that part of the world before and want it to be a great week all round. Any suggestions appreciated.:confused:

steveinindy
03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
Green Bay is too far.

Bill
03-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Green Bay is too far.

Not really.

I used to live near Janesville, WI, which is twice the distance from Oshkosh than Green Bay is (110 miles vs. ~ 50 miles). Most years I would drive back and forth from Janesville to Airventure each day for two or three days. All I had to do was follow Hwy. 26, which goes through Janesville and ends at KOSH. On those days, I tromped part of the flight line, visited manufacturers booths, watched arrivals and departures, went to a forum or two, watched the air show and left after most of the transient visitors had already departed. Then I did the same thing the next day:D.

rleffler
03-18-2012, 03:18 AM
Personally, I would stay in Fond Du Lac. However, it all depends on how you value your time. Both are easy drives via highway.

Jeff Point
03-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Allow me to add a 3rd option- staying on the field in Camp Scholler. This is the large (40,000 or so population) campsite that is owned and controlled by EAA. It is located adjacent to the convention grounds and is walking distance from it. Accommodations can be as simple as a tent (bring it with you or buy locally) and as fancy as a travel trailer camper with water and electric. There are services that rent campers for the week, and they deliver and set them up for you, ready for your arrival. This is not inexpensive, but neither is staying in a hotel during that week, so you might find the cost to be reasonable. The facilities, while not 5 star, are very good for a campground. There is a large camp store where you can buy food, beverages, toiletries, pretty much anything you could need. One could comfortably stay for the entire week and never set foot off the airport grounds. There is even a laundry service. Info about all of this is available on the Airventure website.

Alternatively, there are several privately owned campsites that are also adjacent to the field, and offer similar amenities.

There are many advantages to staying on the field, not the least of which is avoiding the lost time and stress of driving in/ out every day. There is so much going on at night that you miss if you stay elsewhere. Theater in the Woods programs, fly-in movie theater, all the various social gatherings, the world-famous SOS brothers beer tent, the friendly South African compound, etc etc. On the other end, sunrise over the field is a site to behold, one of many reasons to be there early in the morning (not to mention sweet rolls from the Sacred Heart food stand, or eggs and pancakes at Tall Pines.)

CarlOrton
03-18-2012, 07:41 AM
Depending on your relative "need" for comfort, there's also the University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh dorms. Very affordable, but also typical dorms. As in, the shower / toilets are in a communal area, not ensuite. The air-conditioned dorms are full-up, but most folks make-do with a window fan. Very safe and convenient. The city bus has dedicated runs from the mess hall direct to the bus park at AirVenture. There's also a large contingent of your fellow countrymen who stay at the dorms.

PaulDow
03-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Green Bay has some other attractions if you're interested like the shrine of American football, Lambeau Field, home of the Packers. There's also a nice railroad museum. It is about a 1 hour drive each way though.
Closer places can easily be found. Have you considered a private house? Http://www.visitoshkosh.org/eaa-lodging.html has most of the available locations listed. For 2 people, a room rental would probably make sense. That's they way I stayed the past several years. Most homes have air conditioning most dorms lack too.

Matt Gonitzke
03-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Depending on your relative "need" for comfort, there's also the University of Wisconsin - Oshkosh dorms. Very affordable, but also typical dorms. As in, the shower / toilets are in a communal area, not ensuite. The air-conditioned dorms are full-up, but most folks make-do with a window fan. Very safe and convenient. The city bus has dedicated runs from the mess hall direct to the bus park at AirVenture. There's also a large contingent of your fellow countrymen who stay at the dorms.

When I checked two months ago, those were all booked already. Gotta plan about a year in advance for those, it seems.

MickYoumans
03-18-2012, 09:25 AM
The last trip to Oshkosh I flew my plane into Austin-Straubel airport in Green Bay and got a rental car and drove back and forth to Oshkosh each day. It is very doable. You'll have a good selection of hotels and resturants in Green Bay without having to deal with the congestion of people around the Oshkosh area. With that said, I think I'm going to try camping with my airplane on the grounds at AirVenture this year.

Bill Greenwood
03-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Fon du Lac is really good to stay, if you can find a place. Prices are high, since there is so much demand. It is easy to get to EAA from FLD , there is even a bus from the airport each hour. Green Bay is a long ways north.

What do you consider "reasonably priced accomodation"? This is the busiest week in the area and they price it accordingly. At the Hol Inn in FLDwhich has been sold out since last year it is $280 for a room that is normally $119.
There is at least one room in a house in Osh for $140 on the EAA housing site, may also be ones in FLD.
Camping can be okay, but there is not much privacy, only communal showers, and can be hot or wet, or even very nice if you like a lot of people.

MickYoumans
03-18-2012, 05:32 PM
The reason I stayed in Green Bay was because a friend flew up with me that has a daughter living in Green Bay. It gave him an opportunity to visit with his daughter too.

danielfindling
03-18-2012, 07:42 PM
If camping or the college dorms are too rugged. Appleton Wisconsin is 20 miles north of Oshkosh. Hotels range from $100 a night for a simple hotel by the highway on up. The Raddison paper valley is nice but pricey. I generally choose a place to stay based on my guest. When I brought my father in law, the Raddison. Kids, I rented a motor home. Alone - camping, dorms or motel. A word of caution, camping and the dorms can be uncomfortable when it is hot and humid. Fon du lac is a nice, but small town. To me, Appleton has more to offer. The airventure experience typically entails early mornings and late evenings. Green Bay is a long drive form Oshkosh.

Ozzie
03-19-2012, 03:37 AM
If the Missus can handle it, stay on field. Way to much to miss out on by spending time driving then having to spend an hour getting in and then out the car park. Book a hire car early something you can both sleep in if the weather craps out. Walmart on the way up from Chicago for cheap camping gear. I've looked at all the alternatives. Campers are all the size of a block of units, nothing like the 'hi ace' type camper available so they cost heaps. They have all the mod cons tho. It's peak season so top dollar for anything. Staying at the uni or in town and you are set to bus timetables. There are good resturants within ten minutes as it is a bit hard to cook and some of the onsite food requires a detox when you get back. Same goes for the coffee. After the show then you can make ammends and spend some time at a resort or something.

hydroguy2
03-19-2012, 07:00 AM
Another option is trailer rental. Last year we had a trailer delivered and set up on one of the "electric/water" available sites in Camp Scholler. On the day we flew in we caught a ride to walmart and bought food and supplies for the entire week. Did you know you can buy a coffee maker for $8 or a flying pan for $3. we bought a $30 BBQ and grilled steaks or chicken for a fraction of on site food. Anyway it as a great way to be close to the field, comfortable when it's pouring down rain or how about a air-conditioned nap at 2:00 before you take an evening stroll to watch the ultralights. Hey, rolling out of bed and taking a hot shower without your shower shoes on is pretty sweet.
Downsides: it's a little pricy since you have to pay for early camping spots to ensure you get electricity. With no car we had to bum a ride 2x to the store.

http://www.happytrailsrvrentals.net/Page/EAAAirVenture.aspx (http://www.happytrailsrvrentals.net/Page/EAAAirVenture.aspx)

StephGorges
03-23-2012, 09:26 PM
A really great option is vacation rentals through the website www.airbnb.com (http://www.airbnb.com)

We list our apartment on there and typically leave town during EAA. I'm from Appleton and we rent out my entire 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment. I'm just a couple minutes from hwy 41 and an easy drive into Oshkosh. We have one king bed and one queen as well as a comfy couch. You have our home to yourself and I have reviews from previous guests on the site. There are other rentals on the site as well.

We have used airbnb when traveling both domestically and internationally ourselves! We had a fantastic rental in Paris as well as in multiple times in Hawaii and San Diego. I fully recommend as a traveler and a host!

Why camp, deal with the heat, or have small dorm like spaces or hotel rooms when you can have an entire home? You can find my listing here: http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/156418

Let me know if you have any questions!
Steph

Floatsflyer
03-24-2012, 08:23 AM
The last trip to Oshkosh I flew my plane into Austin-Straubel airport in Green Bay and got a rental car and drove back and forth to Oshkosh each day. It is very doable. You'll have a good selection of hotels and resturants in Green Bay without having to deal with the congestion of people around the Oshkosh area. With that said, I think I'm going to try camping with my airplane on the grounds at AirVenture this year.

Ditto. We've been flying into Green Bay for years now. Great full service very comfortable and friendly FBO there. We stay at a brand name hotel with rates that are so way beyond reasonable(which includes a full breakfast) I won't tell you who and what they are for fear of increasing popularity and they jacking them up. We also rent a car for less than half the cost of closer to Oshkosh locations. We know because we've checked on closer hotels and car rentals. The cost increases are huge. We rebook everything on the day of our departure for the following year at the same rates.

There's a wide choice of very good restaurants for every taste all within a 5 minute drive from the hotel. There's a big cinema multiplex just down the street which we go to the night before the Monday opening(part of our yearly routine).

We save a lot of money staying in Green Bay--so more to spend on the AV grounds. The trade off is the drive to AV but really it's only 40 minutes down the interstate with no traffic(except a little last year because of road constuction closer to AV). We are very tired at the end of each AV day and the drive back seems a little longer because of that but when we go out for dinner we get rejuvinated, go to bed, wake up and do it all over again.

Bill Greenwood
03-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Another reason that I don't want to stay up north, at either Appl or Gr Bay, is that there is not much flying going on there except the airlines. Now the EAA B-17 does rides out of APPL, but they aren't too friendly if you walk up to them at that location, not nearly as welcoming as the letters they send out for donations. And to buy a ride, you have to go down the Oshkosh to start anyway, then ride in a van up to APPL. I miss the days when they flew riders out of Osh, though I know it is busy there at times.
At some of the other locations, llke FDL, there are rides for sale in a number of planes, T-6s, P-51, B-25, Breezy, etc. and with a lot less waiting and busing.

If you really want to save money and don't mind spending 2 hours of your day driving you could stay in Milwaukee or Madison.

Planebeach
03-24-2012, 01:07 PM
I have stayed in Appleton 2 times and Oshkosh once. Last year I decided on cheap accommodation so I stayed in Milwaukee last year, spent 1 hour drive up to Oshkosh and a hour down again. It was ok, but its a long drive every day.

So this year I got a hotel room in Oshkosh for $50 a night :)

britishcessna177
05-07-2012, 02:49 PM
I found accomodation a hastle with regards to cost a year ago, when I booked a 4 star hotel in Green Bay. Everything was expensive but a Londoner driving in the US is easy and I now hope that Green Bay to Oshkosh is not too far............ It is my first visit to Oshkosh this year and hope the driving 50 miles or so each day won't be a nightmare. Is parking at Oshkosh OK. In the Uk getting out of an event can take a while !!

Bill
05-07-2012, 04:34 PM
In the Uk getting out of an event can take a while !!

During the weekdays, if you wait until 5:30 or 6 PM to leave Airventure, getting out won't take you very long at all and gives you some of the best time for looking at airplanes. Just remember you're driving on the "wrong" side of the road and some of the access roads have lanes that change direction depending on the time of the day to further your confusion. I haven't attended Airventure on a weekend for so many years that I can't offer accurate advice on weekend departure delays.

rleffler
05-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Just don't plan on leaving after the airshow. That's the only really busy time for traffic. Also understanding the traffic flows in the program will help. They change the flow and direction of one way roads for the morning inbound rush and the late afternoon exit. Once you get to the freeway, you shouldn't have any issues. Assuming that they finally re-open the entrance ramps this year.

bob

Trevor Janz
05-08-2012, 10:59 AM
I would highly recommend GREEN LAKE WISCONSIN. Only about a 30 minute drive SSW of Oshkosh. You will avoid the road construction from Oshkosh thru Appleton and up to Green Bay. I believe they still have rooms at he Heidel House Resort. On Green Lake. http://www.heidelhouse.com/

I have stayed there many times! It is nice to get away from all the crowds in Oshkosh...and get a seat at dinner quicker! :)

Janet Davidson
05-08-2012, 07:49 PM
In comparison to driving on the M25, rush hour in Oshkosh will be a complete doddle. Shame you can't find anywhere closer tho'. There's so much going on in the evening as well, you won't want to leave.

flyag
06-05-2012, 09:09 PM
All booked in staying at Sleepy Hollow Farm can't wait. Just got to sort out our rental car. Renting a car in Australia is sooo much simpler, in the States the advertised price is not the real price it's plus this tax plus that, plus something else and then insurance on top, pretty soon it costs as much as buying a car for the 2weeks.

Ozzie
06-06-2012, 03:26 AM
Flyag, I rented a car from Dollar rental in Chicago. Pre booked with Flight Centre all up for 7 days under 400.00au half the price of hertz avis etc. Ended up with a Dodge Caliber that was big enough to sleep in when the weather turned sour on a couple of nights. great service from them and no sneaky add ons. Only extra was 1/2 tank of gas on return. Check your travel insurance they usually cover hire car accidents so no need for there costly insurance either. i also noticed that booking thru a 3rd party online was far cheaper than booking with company online. I also took my Tom Tom navigator and downloaded midwest USA map rather than use theirs as well cheaper in long run and it is a must have to get around.
have a great time
Ozzie

malexander
06-06-2012, 03:47 AM
All booked in staying at Sleepy Hollow Farm can't wait. Just got to sort out our rental car. Renting a car in Australia is sooo much simpler, in the States the advertised price is not the real price it's plus this tax plus that, plus something else and then insurance on top, pretty soon it costs as much as buying a car for the 2weeks.

I stay at Sleepy Hollow, space 69. Drop in for a visit, I'll be there all week.

flyag
06-07-2012, 05:18 AM
Gday Ozzie, I'm getting slugged $300 one way fee as we pick up in DC and drop off in Milwaukee before heading up to Canada. I thought travel insurance only covered the excess not CDW.
Malexander Thanks mate looking forward to a few cold Millers in the evenings.

britishcessna177
10-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Frank thanks for the tip as my wife has agreed I can go to Air Venture 2014 !! (Last time we did 3 weeks in Canada and left me in Chicago as she is not into aviation) !
I found going to Green Bay every evening a hastle so will try this hotel in Green Bay. Any rough idea how far in advance I would have to book to get a room for Air Venture ? A year ahead ??

CarlOrton
10-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Have you considered the UWOsh dorms? Relatively reasonable, and if you don't need an air conditioned room you can usually get one up until a few months before the show. Getting a hotel right around the show is a pain (as in, 3 years plus for a reservation), but if you travel a bit outside of town, you usually have no problem with a room.