PDA

View Full Version : Earning PPL in a Light Sport Airplane ?

douglasw608
03-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I am new to the EAA and have not yet started any training , although I have been a life-long flying enthusiast . As I get nearer retirement I am considering the purchase of a used Sonex light sport airplane to obtain SP license. My 14yo son would like to be a professional pilot for a career. My question is , can he earn a private pilot license in a light sport airplane and build time from there? (with the properly licensed instructor of course!) If this plane was equipped for IR flight rules , could he also use it for obtaining the insturment rating ? Commercial ticket ? Seems that we could save considerable expense by owning one plane to be used by two people , rather than renting 152/172 etc. ( I like the Sonex for its' popularity, Wis mfg, cool looks, superb engineering and the wings remove to hanger in our garage, saving more !)
Any thoughts on this idea ?

jedi
03-13-2012, 01:25 PM
You have a good plan go with it. You can start with a VFR basic aircraft and when the time comes for the IFR training add the required instruments and radios. On the initial build be sure to include the necessary equipment for night flight. There are awsum LEDs available. Your Sport Pilot instructor needs to be a full CFI for the sport pilot training to count towards PPL and the commercial and instrument training. Where are you located?

Mike M
03-13-2012, 03:26 PM
...SP license...properly licensed instructor...to hanger in our garage

what's a PPL? SP license? licensed instructor? hanger in garage? do you by chance mean a private pilot certificate? sport pilot certificate? hangar?

drivers have licenses. permission from the government to use public roads. aviators earn certificates. proof of their demonstrated ability to operate aircraft to a particular level of proficiency. which is why instructors sign off logbooks with "CFI", certificated flight instructor. and we don't keep our aircraft on hangars like coats, but in hangars which happens to be a french word roughly meaning "shed". why french? why aileron or empennage?

oh, well. traditions die from misuse. forgive me, it's been a long day.

douglasw608
03-13-2012, 04:03 PM
You have a good plan go with it. You can start with a VFR basic aircraft and when the time comes for the IFR training add the required instruments and radios. On the initial build be sure to include the necessary equipment for night flight. There are awsum LEDs available. Your Sport Pilot instructor needs to be a full CFI for the sport pilot training to count towards PPL and the commercial and instrument training. Where are you located?

jedi.... we are over in Lacrosse, Wis. near old the 'Miss..

steveinindy
03-13-2012, 04:49 PM
traditions die from misuse.

Come again? I don't see any traditions at risk. The only thing I see here is slightly poor spelling and some lack of knowledge which is to be expected in a student.

jedi
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
jedi.... we are over in Lacrosse, Wis. near old the 'Miss..

You are not in a location where we can work togeather easily. However, I am available to answer questions and mentor your progress. I try to stay west of the Mississippi as much as possible, with rare excptions.

Frank Giger
03-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Assuming the LSA compliant aircraft is rated for night flying and has the right instruments there's no difference in whether one is training for a Private or a Sport ticket; the difference is in the syllabus.

For example, one could get either set of priveledges in a Champ.

Racegunz
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Assuming the LSA compliant aircraft is rated for night flying and has the right instruments there's no difference in whether one is training for a Private or a Sport ticket; the difference is in the syllabus.

For example, one could get either set of priveledges in a Champ.

I've never seen a 7AC with enough equipment to obtain a Private Pilot Certificate (did I say it right?) not saying there isn't one.... I had to switch over to a Cherokee when I went on to Private. Finding an examiner to test in the experimental would also be a hurdle some won't do it. Also no sonex will meet the the aircraft requirements for a Commercial rating, that much I'm absolutely sure of. Good Luck

kscessnadriver
03-27-2012, 08:18 PM
I've never seen a 7AC with enough equipment to obtain a Private Pilot Certificate (did I say it right?) not saying there isn't one.... I had to switch over to a Cherokee when I went on to Private. Finding an examiner to test in the experimental would also be a hurdle some won't do it. Also no sonex will meet the the aircraft requirements for a Commercial rating, that much I'm absolutely sure of. Good Luck

Some examiners will accept a portable GPS as a navigation device. Have to ask around.

Windknot
04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
what's a PPL? SP license? licensed instructor? hanger in garage? do you by chance mean a private pilot certificate? sport pilot certificate? hangar?

drivers have licenses. permission from the government to use public roads. aviators earn certificates. proof of their demonstrated ability to operate aircraft to a particular level of proficiency. which is why instructors sign off logbooks with "CFI", certificated flight instructor. and we don't keep our aircraft on hangars like coats, but in hangars which happens to be a french word roughly meaning "shed". why french? why aileron or empennage?

You know....it's responses like that....attitudes like that.....those are the things that will be the death knell of General Aviation, Sport Pilot Certifications and flying in general. Who the heck would want to have anything to do with an activity with someone like you answering questions to a newcomer like that?

This type of elitist attitude is the EXACT same barrier that I have witnessed time and time again asking for advice from other flyers. That being said, I have also met many, many great men and women who have taken countless hours out of their time to just listen to me talk about my love of flying and my dream of flying my own plane some day.

@cdrmuetzel@juno.com (http://eaaforums.org/member.php?661-cdrmuetzel-juno.com) - do everyone else a favor and leave the answers to newcomers to someone with tact, a desire to teach and the ability to be civil.

Thanks....thanks for making my first post a negative one.

battplatt
04-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Man switch to Decaf dude. Way to crush a guy for merely asking a question. If your personal insecurity resides in whether you have a Private Pilot's Licensce or a Private Pilot's Certificate then you must either have a lot of extra time on your hands or you lack the basic understanding of being an aviator.

Semantics are words, actions make or break pilots. And oh by the way, Orville and Wilbur did not have a Cert/Lic/Whatever until the Gov't made them get one, you know giving them permission to fly...in federal airspace...sounds a lot like how a driver's license was described by...who was that again...?

We can all do sarcasm, fear and ridicule as a instructional technique, but all that does is make people realize that it isn't worth it and give up. So do everyone a favor and remeber the old adge...if you don't have something nice (and i'll add constructive...) then shut the H*ll up.

Batt