PDA

View Full Version : Ultralight info needed (first timer this year)

Minimax1300z
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Hi all, I'm looking at flying in to oshkosh to the ultralight runway and just curious how many actually fly in to that run way? Im hoping to make a little adventure out of this for myself... one way ill be traveling 914nm from home base in about 3 days total. so any info you all have to throw in here is great!!

Thanks
Jon:)

Timm Bogenhagen
03-12-2012, 07:30 AM
Jon,
There is usually well over 100 ultralight/light-planes registered thru out the week. Some are trailered, most fly in. Pilots fly long distances such as you are considering is not uncommon, its interesting to talk with the pilots, and hear stories of their adventure to OSH. I see your from NY, last year Kirk Mills flew his UltraCruiser from NY. Here is a link to a story about his adventure, http://eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1111_hummel.asp
Here is a link to view more details of flying into the ultralight runway, http://www.airventure.org/flying/ul.html
The picture of my Minimax below was taken on short final while slipping to a landing to the NW on the ultralight runway at AirVenture a couple years ago. My home airport is only 15 miles from OSH:)
Timm

Chad Jensen
03-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Very cool Jon! What will you be flying?

Minimax1300z
03-12-2012, 03:32 PM
hey tim thanks for the info!!! very nice looking max! wish I only lived 15 miles away! I would be flying from my back yard to all the excitement! And also thanks for posting the link to that story from kirk! That is awesome! My engine is also a morray conversion as well... really awesome!
Chad... see below photos... My very own "Maxine" LOL has a 32hp 1/2vw engine and flies like a dream!

Jon17151716

Chad Jensen
03-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Awesome! I figured from your username that may be the case, but didn't want to assume. :cool:

steveinindy
03-12-2012, 04:00 PM
That's a neat little plane. I hope to see you at Oshkosh this year.

Minimax1300z
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM
its all good! I love my little max and should do me great getting there and back!

Timm Bogenhagen
03-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Maxine looks nice, thanks for the pics. I like your canopy cover, where did you get it?

Minimax1300z
03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
I like your canopy cover, where did you get it?

That there sir is hand made!! made a template with cardboard. Went to an auto parts store and got really long bungies. Got some fake leather with the cotton backing so not to scratch the windscreen. sewed the bungies in one on front and one on back after cutting the leather according to the template and voila the bungies hook together underneath the fuse and there you have it! it works great and also protects from the rain and sun!
Jon