PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft incident this morning ....

snoskier1
07-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Any details on the incident ?

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Per EAAupdate on Twitter (Dick Knapinski), at approx. 11 a.m., an F-16 from AL Air National Guard overran the north end of runway 18/36 upon landing. Pilot walked out & taken 4 observation.

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 03:01 PM
It looks like another jet (F-86 maybe?) skidded off the end of runway 36 during the showcase portion today where various jet aircraft were being displayed, right after Burt Rutan's Boomerang segment. I think I heard air boss state the pilot was out and taking off his helmet? Could see the plane (and still can) sitting there right off the north end of 36 on the Warbird camera.

Greg Bockelman
07-28-2011, 03:10 PM
An Eye Witness on another board said it was an F-4.

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 03:35 PM
I'm looking at it on the Warbird video feed, every time the camera pans over to it's farthest right position. Sure doesn't look like an F-4 to me.

Edit: Definitely not an F-4. Straight across horiz. stabilizer/elevator as opposed to the upside down "V" of an F-4.

Chad Jensen
07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Second incident was the FJ4 Fury. I was at my campsite when this one happened, but I did note the tailwind for 36 when he landed. F-16 incident happened 150ft in front of me as I was standing at the T-28's watching the first one taxi in. Took me by complete surprise and I didn't see it come off the end (blocked by the T-28 I standing next to) but did see the end of the skid. Pilot got out and appeared fine.

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 05:12 PM
Thanks Chad. I knew somebody was gonna be nearby and give a report. The Fury is still sitting out there off the end of 36. Wonder what the heck is going on today to have not one, but two jets skid off the end. You mentioned a tailwind though.

Mr.Serious
07-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Here's my firsthand video of the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub7PFQSQFkI

Chad Jensen
07-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Well glad to see he had a smoother ride than the -16...that is the only flying example of an FJ4, isn't it?

spongebobiwan
07-28-2011, 09:31 PM
And the F-16 video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q

Joe Delene
07-29-2011, 03:56 AM
I think that F-16 will be at OSH for awhile. Nice that those flames in the tailpipe didn't start a larger fire.

jhausch
07-29-2011, 05:20 AM
Thanks to both for posting those videos.

Here's my firsthand video of the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub7PFQSQFkI

And the F-16 video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q

FSMP
07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Does KOSH really need AIRCRAFT CARRIER ARRESTING CABLES for Navy Pilots ??

I wonder if the truth about this incident will ever be released to the public.
Hopefully it was some form of equipment failure, and not the result of "putting on a show" for the Spectators.

Geoff

Tom Steber
07-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Does KOSH really need AIRCRAFT CARRIER ARRESTING CABLES for Navy Pilots ??

I wonder if the truth about this incident will ever be released to the public.
Hopefully it was some form of equipment failure, and not the result of "putting on a show" for the Spectators.

Geoff

I was watching the F-16's fly and to my group of people, it seemed as though the second F-16 (the one that overran) was being flown rather timid. The first one was doing all the hard core low level "high-G" turns with afterburner. The second one wasen't ever doing that and was flying a little higher. We commented that we thought maybe it was his first time flying there. Then the first F-16 landed very normal. He got it down right away and kept the nose up and turned it into a nice slow run down the runway. Then the second F-16 came in. He landed long and was coming in way too fast. I looked at my friends and said "He's going way to fast!" Almost thought he would have tried going around. But he didn't. We really thought he was going to hit the first F-16. Thank God that didn't happen and thank God he didn't punch out. This was CLEARLY pilot error an the second F-16 pilot. We also noticed that he never had his airbrakes deployed.

Phil Kriley
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
We also noticed that he never had his airbrakes deployed.

Yes, that plane really wizzed past us and did not appear to be slowing down at all. I was expeting to hear the roar of oafterburners and a go-around. Maybe pilot error, but I suspect a brake failure of some sort. Hopefully the military/NTSB will sort it out and tell us what happened.

Can you imagine how EMBARRASSED that pilot must have been?

Joe Delene
08-11-2011, 07:41 AM
I think if one lands long & fast, you have problems already before any talk about 'brake failure'.

Jason Alexander
08-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I find the lack of "putting on a show" odd. Viper pilots (hell, fighter pilots in general) rarely pass up a chance to put on a show, much less at an AIRSHOW. lol. That makes me curious if there was something deeper than just brake failure. I wonder if some sort of equipment failure caused the slow, sloppy handling, the lack of an air brake, and the long, fast landing?

Like Geoff, I hope they release the investigation findings to the public! It's got my curiosity piqued!