PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 396 Oddity

Wilfred
03-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Right after I got the Garmin 396 they "pulled the plug" on support for it. Now I have an oddity: When trying to enter a 'go to' destination I cannot find any digits; that is, if the identifier is for example, C08, there are no digits, only letters that are offered for selection.

Can someone enlighten me how to get 'numbers' that are a part of a location (airport) to appear? I'm stumped.

Thanks for any help.

Mike Switzer
03-02-2012, 04:39 PM
I believe on mine if you keep going past Z you get numbers

Wilfred
03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately on mine when I cycle through the letter "z" it just returns to a, b, c, etc...never a number series.

(I never did like the Garmin but got 'stuck' with it in Vans RV-12)

Wilfred

Mike Switzer
03-02-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm sitting in a hotel now, I just put it in aviation mode, if I hit direct, it shows KAAA - hit enter the cursor is on the K, hit the right arrow to go to the first A, hit enter then the down button & it is on 9, hit the up arrow til you get to Z, up one more is 0, then 1, then 2, etc.

Wilfred
03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
I finally got the darn thing working correctly. Can't determine why or what I did or what the device did. I really hate this Garmin ! My first GPS, an old heavy 2-inch green screen Lowrance is still far, far, easier to use and still works well. The only thing better about the Garmin is that it is in color. The man-machine interface is horrible.

Thanks for suggestions.

HarryJames
05-23-2015, 02:56 AM
I have the Garmin 396 . Garmin 396 not good GPS but not a bad GPS . Its battery timing is good and its colour show is good i like it :)