PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Etiquette or Lack Thereof

BeagleOne
07-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Hello! First post here! I've been coming to Oshkosh since the very first year and have missed only a handful of fly-ins, and I've always been impressed by the level of courtesy shown by EAA'ers.

BUT I have to say I was appalled tonight at the Theater In The Woods Bob Hoover interview, when a cell phone rang in my vicinity literally every 5-10 minutes throughout the interview. A couple of the people had the courtesy to get up and leave the area, but two guys actually answered their phones and started talking loudly enough for me to hear them from several rows away. One guy answered his phone twice!

I would hope that the need to make an announcement to turn cell phones off at the beginning of the presentation would be unnecessary, but based on tonight's performance, apparently it IS necessary, and if any EAA powers-that-be read these forums, I hope they'll do something about it.

I mean, come on! BOB HOOVER is telling stories onstage and people answer their cell phones? Just sad. And rude.

Hoping the phones will be off in the Eagle Hangar tomorrow...at another beautiful Oshkosh day!

Joe Delene
07-27-2011, 04:41 AM
I suppose it's time for someone to invent a short range cell phone jammer, maybe it's already here? I always go to vibrate when it's called for.

Anymouse
07-27-2011, 07:18 AM
I'm kinda guilty on this (but not this occaision!!), however, I try to whisper, "Hang on a minute," or something to that effect and then leave the area so I can talk. Theater type scenarios have the phone off, or at the very least one vibrate if I REALLY need to take calls.

I HATE listening in on other peoples conversations at restaurants and what not. Fortunately, the Nokia walkie-talkie fad seems to be going away. Those were the worst!!

Oh, and the short range cell phone jammer has been in use for a while. (Google IED defense for the military)

Joe Delene
06-26-2012, 04:54 AM
Much of the time I have my phone on vibrate/silent & just check once in a while or so. I about never have my ringer on at a public event.