PDA

View Full Version : Afford-A-Plane

James Johnson
02-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Hey there. I am building an affordaplane and just wondering if anyone has or knows people that are familiar with this plane? I am already a member of the yahoo group devoted to the plane but thought Id ask in here if there was anyone with knowledge of it. Any ultralight flyers in North central Florida area? Looking for more but the local chapter mostly is GA from what I gathered.

JJ

FlyingRon
02-16-2012, 10:07 AM
There's several threads on this over in this forum: www.homebuiltairplanes.com

erkki67
02-19-2012, 03:44 PM
The affordaplane sure has it's charm , but I would prefer in the same layout a affordacub!Bst RgdsErkki

Cap'n Jack
03-31-2012, 08:01 AM
For such an inexpensive plane, there doesn't seem to be a large number of flying examples for something available for several years.

Nerobro
05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
It also builds up very heavy. Like 100lbs heavy. :-/ I'm only aware of one example being built to plans, and that plane "required" 50hp to fly well. It seems good ultralights can fly well on 28. I ended up collecting a lot of information on the plane. ... and upsetting most of the community. But that's another, long, story.

http://theaffordaplaneresource.blogspot.com/

Eric Page
05-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Interesting comment, Nerobro. I've owned a set of Affordaplane plans for several years but never got started, mostly because my garage is an inferno much of the year. I'll be sure to do some research on this issue if I ever decide to go ahead with the project. Thanks for the tip!

Fly_boy_bc
01-24-2013, 03:09 PM
I have the same information. The owner/moderator of the Affordaplane Yahoo group (who is the #1 supporter of this design) states flat out that the BEST you can manage is about 350 pounds (100 pounds over FAR 103)

The Affordaplane is NOT an ultralight despite the lies on their website.

Gary in BC

It also builds up very heavy. Like 100lbs heavy. :-/ I'm only aware of one example being built to plans, and that plane "required" 50hp to fly well. It seems good ultralights can fly well on 28. I ended up collecting a lot of information on the plane. ... and upsetting most of the community. But that's another, long, story.

http://theaffordaplaneresource.blogspot.com/

martymayes
01-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Well, that explains why they won't get off the ground.....