PDA

View Full Version : Pietenpol/Loehle Sport Parasol-New member pursuing the dream!

Super Glide
02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Good morning all. My name is Fred and I am beginning research and plans to realize a dream from my earliest
childhood. I earned my Private in 1986 and flew off and on through the early 90's. Career, life, family and a thousand
other things put flying on the back burner for far too many years. The fire, however, never died. I don't know
why, at this late date, it has been rekindled with a vengeance, but it seems like it is here to stay! So, time to
get some bills paid off, and time to order a big box of wood.
Any advice/experience with Loehle Sport parasol or similar enthusiastically welcomed! Fred

Green Goggles
02-13-2012, 10:34 PM
My father owned a Pietenpol that was just beautiful and got a ton of attention everywhere he took it. It was a fun, fun airplane. My advice is that if you want an airplane of that type, go for it! Oh, and post lots of pictures! :D

gcardinal
02-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Go here for inspiration:
www.westcoastpiet.com (http://www.westcoastpiet.com)

Pietenpol support is hard to beat. A very good discussion group is at www.matronics.com

Greg Cardinal
Pietenpol NX18235

Chad Jensen
02-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Hi Fred! Welcome to the journey! The Piet gets my vote...I'm building a Tailwind, but I'm thinking of buying a Pietenpol from a friend...

braywood
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi Fred - I am building a Piet - I am about the same as you - flew a long time ago, and the fire got relit recently. If you like to make stuff, and don't have visions of doing long, fast cross country flights, the Piet is great. There is a ton of support, and the plans are simple, with wood, metal, fabric, electrics (maybe) and engine skills learned along the way. But you have to share your progress along the way!!
Find someone with a Piet and talk to them - you will get a ride and be convinced!! There's no life like it!!
Good luck!!
Mark

Hangar10
02-14-2012, 11:30 PM
The Piet gets my vote too... for the reasons the others have said.

Chad, a Tailwind, eh? I've often thought that the Tailwind might be my next project... a nice looking x-country machine. Look forward to seeing your completed.

Chad Jensen
02-15-2012, 02:58 PM
It'll be a bit...working on the spars this weekend!

Chris In Marshfield
02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Are the Tailwind spars solid wood or fabricated I-beam type?

Chad Jensen
02-15-2012, 09:32 PM
Solid wood main and rear spars.

Tex Sonex
02-16-2012, 10:13 PM
The Piet is a wonderful plane. I SO wanted to build one until I moved to Texas and saw how much wind is out here. I just didn't see the low wing loading and that much wind working well together, so I've opted to build a Sonex instead. Maybe someday the Piet will still get built. I'm keeping all my information, plans, etc., just in case. As someone who had built and flown both a Pietenpol and a Grega told me- build the Piet, build the fuselage out of wood, and use the long version. The Piet is also a great platform for a Corvair engine, if you like it.

wannabe lee
02-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Hi Fred, welcome to forums. We have a guy selling a sport parasol at our local airport so we looked into it a little bit. The biggest thing we found out was that although it was originally designed as an ultralight it no longer meets that category and would have to be flown as a light sport. Just sayin' if you choose that one you may need to do a little bit of research to make sure you're getting what you want. I have heard great things about the Piet but have no experience with it.

Super Glide
02-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Trying to make the financial numbers work, as I am far from being a wealthy guy. I want to rush into things and start building like yesterday, but got to keep a clear head!
Looking at Kolb Firestar too. Very friendly people, and appears to be a very solid and proven design.

Super Glide
06-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi, all. Been busy for the last few months collecting the finances and some kit components for the aircraft I've
decided to commit to which is a Kolb Firestar 2. The main selling points were the all metal construction and ability to fly with a passenger. Have assembled the horiz. and vert. stabs, elevators and rudder, and mounted to fuselage tube.
Ordered the fuse welded cage, landing gear, nose cone, brakes and wheels, and some other hardware, so soon I can sit in the "cockpit" and
make airplane noises while my wife looks on in bemused disbelief! C'mon, don't tell me none of y'all haven't done it too! Fred

Eric Page
06-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Congrats on getting started, Fred!

Start a thread in the Homebuilders Corner forum and post some building updates and pictures. I know we'd all love to follow your progress. I sure would; I've been looking at Kolbs for years. Almost pulled the trigger back when the Slingshot was introduced.

Dbl Ugly
07-27-2012, 05:55 PM
I had a horse trading friend who had a Piet, but the original builder had crushed the wings out of liability fears before he sold it. Some time later I found wings for the thing and wanted to buy it, but by then it was gone. He told me he had a Pober Pixie project, a single seat parasol. I ended up trading a Darter 100 I had worn out for it. Time will tell if I was a damn fool.