PDA

View Full Version : 2 gripes this year

John
07-26-2011, 07:19 PM
I have 2 gripes about the show this year.

First, I think it's terrible that camping world has taken over the handicap camping space near the computer shack/shower house area with all their sales model RV's. There is only handicap camping around the fringe of that area. How can they-EAA or CW-justify that? money?:mad:

Second, I think it's time that umbrellas, umbrella chairs, canopy chairs, and other forms of sunshade be banned within 20' of the flight line. The first 3 are bad enough about blocking people views (and photos), but I saw someone set up something that looked like 1/2 a dome tent today. :eek:

My 2 cents.

dmbleess
07-26-2011, 07:40 PM
You got my vote. People are rude in both cases cited.

It's bad enough to be short and having tall people push up in front of you when they can already see over you, then have people set up structures that block the view of everyone behind them.

Put on a hat and sunscreen like the rest of us have to.

Save the tent-like chairs for the campgrounds.

Speaking of the RV sales, those guys need to set up in the campground applicable to where they belong or get vendor space inside the show proper like FORD. They don't need to be taking up camping space set up for disabled people.

JimRice85
07-26-2011, 08:21 PM
As a disabled vet, I'm sure saddened to hear EAA has sacrificed disabled space/facilities to a commercial entity. Just another sign of EAA chasing the almighty dollar over all else? Hopefully it is just an oversight, but everything high dollar has been pursued over the simple/grassroots over the years. I'm 48 and have been around EAA literally all my life and have been a member since I was in my twenties. I hope EAA won't forget what brought them to the party over the years.

3ddein
07-27-2011, 08:21 PM
That does sound reasonable! Also, it seems like there are way too many golf carts and other vehicles darting around the crowds too.

tietzd83
07-31-2011, 09:30 PM
That does sound reasonable! Also, it seems like there are way too many golf carts and other vehicles darting around the crowds too.

I agree about the carts, but I'd like to extend it to too many vehicles in general. I understand there needs to be vehicles in order to provide services, but there seems to be too many that appear to not be involved in "official" business. I have found them to be irritating in years past, but this year I brought my six year old son with me. This increased the difficulty to work around these things and at one point, a cart drove past only to make a 180, pass us on the other side... almost took out my son. I am getting tired of seeing young people, who are more than capable of walking, joy riding around just because they can. I will have to reconsider not only taking my son but also my soon to be 4 year old daughter due to the fear of them walking out in front of some darn cart! I would think that, if it hasn't already, it will lead to some liabilty issues.

On the bright side... Great convention this year and loved the night air show. I'm going through my annual AirAdventure withdrawl!!

John
08-01-2011, 09:05 AM
hmm. They made some serious layout and rule changes a couple of years ago because of cart/tram/vehicle traffic (took long enough though!). While cart incidents were way down, IMHHO, many of those that did get through did seem totally unnecessary, in that that weren't carrying anything, and it was just a single person (driver), going into the "restricted" areas.
OTOH, some of these people may have been forum presenters, service area supervisors, etc. There is just no way to tell if they are necessary or not.
Are there resources available to police the carts better? probably not. I think this is something that could be complaint driven. Get the sticker number if possible, time of day, names or descriptions of occupants, and take it to the show office.

kevinz
12-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I agree with you John. I am not tall enough to see over all these umbrellas, canopy chairs, etc. I know it is first come first serve for seating, but please limit your shade to a hat or head covering like I do. Just one mans opinion

mazdaP5
12-18-2011, 10:02 PM
You gotta find a wing or stab and just park it there. Best way to keep out of the sun without lugging aroud your own shade all day.

rleffler
12-20-2011, 12:03 PM
My gripe was the camp site southwest of the maintenance building (not EAA) have campers tear down the fence enclosing Scholler, using Scholler facilities (their's had none), and cutting through Scholler to get to the Airventure grounds. If they are too cheap to support EAA and pay fees to camp in Scholler, then they shouldn't be granted any of the amenities. What disturbed me most is that they actually took the fence down multiple times during the week. It was like a freeway through our camping area where we thought we were at the end of the street where there should have been very little traffic.

Steve Buss
12-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi Bob,

Yes we are aware of the issue in that area and our campground and security teams are looking into alternatives to cutting down on the problem.

It is annoying, indeed.

Steve

rawheels
12-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Guess I was one of the "offenders" this year. We have always flown up in the past, but decided to bring the camper this year because of the weather. Stayed at the Stadmuller Farm because it was easier to get in and out of. We actually parked pretty close to the opening to Camp Scholler where some people walked through. I didn't see anyone rip down any fences, but plenty of people walked to the port-o-lets that were placed right at that opening. Everyone has paid for the wristbands to get in the show, not to mention that we are EAA members, presenters, and volunteers. It is just a matter of convenience to walk to the units 20' from the campsite as opposed to walking into the show. Also used the opening to get access to the fly-in theater. Why the big fuss, do you really need the $24/day to empty out the port-o-lets at that opening as opposed to the ones near Knapp St? It isn’t like we could drive through to use the waste dump, buses, or other services of the campground.

rleffler
01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Guess I was one of the "offenders" this year. We have always flown up in the past, but decided to bring the camper this year because of the weather. Stayed at the Stadmuller Farm because it was easier to get in and out of. We actually parked pretty close to the opening to Camp Scholler where some people walked through. I didn't see anyone rip down any fences, but plenty of people walked to the port-o-lets that were placed right at that opening. Everyone has paid for the wristbands to get in the show, not to mention that we are EAA members, presenters, and volunteers. It is just a matter of convenience to walk to the units 20' from the campsite as opposed to walking into the show. Also used the opening to get access to the fly-in theater. Why the big fuss, do you really need the $24/day to empty out the port-o-lets at that opening as opposed to the ones near Knapp St? It isn’t like we could drive through to use the waste dump, buses, or other services of the campground.

If you want to enjoy the convenience of a shorter walk, then support the EAA and camp in Scholler.

You're so oblivious to the impact of your actions, I almost didn't respond.

The port-o-johns in Camp Scholler are distributed through the camp based upon predicted need. One would argue that these are place in the camp for camp residents and their guests, not the general public or typical Airventure guest. There are plenty of facilities on the grounds to suppport those folks elsewhere. There was probably twice the volume of usage with everyone from Stadmuller using them. That made them unpleasant for those of us that chose to support the EAA by camping at Scholler.

We also had a steam of folks walking through our camp site, which we initially thought would be limited being at the south end of the row. We quickly found out how untrue this was due to the traffic from Stadmuller taking the short cut. There were several folks that were consistently disrespectful to several Camp Scholler attendees. I know it's being stereotypical, but from the other side of the fence, it look to be more the normal than the exception.

There was an orange snow fence erected twice duration the week and hence taken down by Stadmuller campers.

Why do you feel that you are "owed" this right from the EAA?

Perhaps next year we should pay your camp site a visit to use your camper's facilities? I suspect that you would be a little agitated after a while too.

rawheels
01-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Bob,

I’m sorry that you had a bad experience. Kind of sounds like when you think you happened to get a great spot at the state park, just to find out it was open because it was right next to the kids playground or something. (Although, I imagine there was some poor sap parked along Highway 41 that would have traded places with you).

I think the EAA did a great job predicting the need; there were about 8 toilets parked right at that opening, and there were never fewer than half open for use. I agree that people who camp there shouldn’t feel “owed” the access/shortcut to the event, but I know I certainly appreciated it. Much like I’ve appreciated being able to cut through the parking areas to the museum, or Motel 8 letting me cut through their parking lot to get supplies in the past. However, I will say the aisles seemed well marked to me in Scholler, so I think it is unfortunate that you had people actually cut through your site.

As mentioned before, the group of people in the next field ARE supporters of EAA and AirVenture. I don’t think that people who stay at the dorms, reliever airports, or local houses are any less supportive of the organization, and I have a feeling that EAA appreciates them even if they get there before the dawn patrol, stay until after the parties, and use the bathrooms all day long.

Next year I hope to be camped under the wing again, so “my” facilities will be the ones near the planes. Either way you’re welcome to pull up a chair at the campsite, just take the chip off your shoulder before you come.