PDA

View Full Version : Finding the Money

Benni11
02-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi, my name is Sarah and I'm a college student wanting to learn how to fly this summer. I've applied to scholarships, including the WAI, but I don't think I have gotten any. I can't afford to fly any other way. Any suggestions or ideas on how I can make this happen would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sonex1517
02-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Try the Ninety Nines also

http://www.ninety-nines.org/index.cfm/scholarships.htm

Don't give up on the dream!

uavmx
02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
No time for a second job while in college? Maybe if you start hanging around the airport, trying to get rides, etc, you can find someone to take you under their wing? The best thing about aviation is bartering too, maybe you can find a CFI that needs help with other things.

Being an A&P/IA I barter inspections for the use of someone airplane.

Benni11
02-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks! :)

malexander
02-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Where are you located?

Marshall Alexander

Mike M
02-13-2012, 06:09 AM
www.army-aviation-pilot.com/WOFT/

Benni11
02-13-2012, 01:09 PM
I am from Oshkosh, WI currently living in Madison, WI.

RV8505
02-14-2012, 12:16 AM
If you really want it you can make it happen. Get a job, sell your stuff and don't date anyone that doesn't like flying and you'll be ok. It worked for me.

Janet Davidson
02-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Sarah,

Have you thought about applying for work with Wisconsin Aviation in MSN? I don't know if they do a staff rate for flight instruction, but it could be worth looking in to.

Good luck!

RickL
02-17-2012, 07:23 AM
I can't help with the scholarship but when you start training, consider the West Bend Airport (ETB). They have the lowest rental and instructor rates I could find in SE Wisconsin. As other have mentioned, use the bartering method. Most Flight Instructors are reasonable people and will trade services if you are willing to help them out.

Don't give up. There is a way!

Janet Davidson
02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
I am from Oshkosh, WI currently living in Madison, WI.

Come along to Chapter 252 (Oshkosh) meetings next time you're home :)

I'm not sure if it will do your financial worries much good (although we did have a scholarship last year - I will ask if this is an ongoing scholarship) but you will meet plenty of friendly pilots & non-pilots alike. And you never know if something good may come out of it.

http://www.252.eaachapter.org/events.htm

Benni11
02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I think I'll be able to attend the April 7th Fly-in. I have also attended WAI meetings as well in Oshkosh. Thank you so much! :)

somorris
02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Good luck Sarah. Don't give up!

blackbird
02-28-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi Sarah, One place a lot of people fail to think about...Civil Air Patrol. I'm not sure what your interests are, besides flying. If you like the idea of a military structure and working with teenagers, they're always looking for volunteers. It doesn't take any military background and there's a lot of "free" flying to be had. By "free" I mean you'll pay your annual dues and the rest of it is donating your time. You'll also learn a lot more than just flying. Many of the pilots there are volunteers because it offers them inexpensive flying (relatively speaking). Instuctors are often willing to teach without being paid for it. Just about every municipality has a local squadron with meetings usually once a week. CAP is federally funded so most of the expense is paid for with tax dollars. I hope this helps. As an instructor myself, I'm always anxious to see someone else join the ranks of aviation.