PDA

View Full Version : building my first aircraft

Harold
02-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Hi all, well first off I have had about 25 hours of flight time, but that was before Being deployed to Irac and the bottom falling out of the economy. Now I am still and always have been wanting to fly so now I'm going to try a different rout. What is an aircraft's wing cord?

Anymouse
02-11-2012, 12:41 PM
http://bit.ly/z1Pcsb

(Sorry couldn't resist!!)

Sounds like you got a good start on the flight training. Try to continue if you can while building.

rosiejerryrosie
02-12-2012, 08:48 AM
It is a specially designed piece of rope that is used to hold a wing in place while it is being attached to an airplane It is first soaked in propwash and then attached to the wing and the fuselage. As it dries, it shrinks, pulling the wing close to the airframe so that the bolts can be easily attached. Don't let anyone tell you differently. It has absolutely nothing to do with the distance from the leading edge of the wing to the training edge of the wing measured directly through the wing. Nothing at all - cord is cord = rope or string, not a measurement....Look it up...
D:

Green Goggles
02-12-2012, 09:28 AM
It is a specially designed piece of rope that is used to hold a wing in place while it is being attached to an airplane It is first soaked in propwash and then attached to the wing and the fuselage. As it dries, it shrinks, pulling the wing close to the airframe so that the bolts can be easily attached. Don't let anyone tell you differently. It has absolutely nothing to do with the distance from the leading edge of the wing to the training edge of the wing measured directly through the wing. Nothing at all - cord is cord = rope or string, not a measurement....Look it up...
D:
This is what I was always taught! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/lol.gif

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:forums.corvetteforum.com/get/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Skyraider
03-06-2012, 10:38 AM
D:

Cord?? Nah! You may need a bigger, or better, reference.....:rollseyes:

It's the measure of a pile of wood, :thumbsup: that used to be attempts at hand carving a propeller,
but is now waiting for another job...

" Wood Fuel Operations Technician : w / Stove qualifications ".
The job though is seasonal, with more employment opportunities in the winter months.
Job description is the adequate heating of aircraft hangar, using any means possible,
tools include: waste paper baskets, old oil drums, trash cans, and a good source of ignition,
matches do very well in this endeavor. Applicant may need to supply own kindling.
Other items, to be supplied by employer.

Also when it's very fiber is broken down into nitrocellulose, and added to nitroglycerin,
and petrolatum that has been dissolved in acetone, dried, and extruded in cords, it is called
"Cordite", a smokeless explosive powder.
Excellent for starting overly hot "Flame Wars". :rollseyes:

Would you use that to attach a wing to a fuselage :confused: ..... I think not....

rosiejerryrosie
03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
The original post asked about a wing cord. So the answer must have something to do with a wing. And anyone knows that 'Cordite' refers, primarly, to a female cord... or is that Cordette? I'm confused.....:confused:

Frank Giger
03-09-2012, 03:20 AM
Welcome to your next addiction! Rosie gave the correct answer above, btw...

I thought it was the things that fastened the airplane to the ground. Bungees from the wings to the little metal loops set into the concrete on the ramp are much easier than ropes to connect - and they come in an assortment of colors.

;)