PDA

View Full Version : 17 with my training wings

rturiak
02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Hey everyone!

Im new here, and new to the world of flying, so im gonna introduce myself for a bit.

My name is Ryan Turiak, Highschool Senior, minuimun wage paying job as a cashier.

Flying is my dream, always has been, always will be. I remember when I was young, I would look up at every plane that passed over head amazed at the ability to fly through the air.

now many years later.. I've started flight lessons, with my local instructor at Woodward Field (KCDN) in Camden, South Carolina.

This is really a dream come true, flying is my passion, and its what I plan to include for my future ocupation. I have flowen with my neighbor (Privot pilot) and with a few other pilots at my local EAA chapter 1132. I have realised finaly that I can start lessons, and fly by my self! Again, I get paid minuimum wage, and all of my paychecks go straight to flight lessons, but its worth it more then anything else. I have never wanted something more then the freedom of flight.

I have been training in a Aeronica Champ, and currently have 2 hours of flight training. I believe I have progressed alot from where I started, and plan to recieve my sports pilot certification by the end of the summer!

Im going to update this thread constantly as I progress and move along in my lessons, ground school, check flight, and more!

Thanks for reading, and nice meeting everyone,

MickYoumans
02-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Congrats Ryan on the flying lessons. Good luck with your flying dreams.

rturiak
02-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Thanks!
I really hope to build my own airplane one day.

There could be no better feeling then taking a bunch of metal, putting it together, and then flying it for the first time.. It would be exhilarating!

MickYoumans
02-06-2012, 09:23 PM
I always thought is would be very cool to build my own plane, but unfortunately my work schedule and family responsibilities prevented it from being a realistic persuit for me. Being an airplane owner has been the next best thing though.

Treetop_Flyer
02-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Congrats on starting your training, Ryan. I'll look forward to seeing your updates as you progress.

rosiejerryrosie
02-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Welcome to the club, Ryan. You are learning in a great little airplane. Best wishes on your trip to fulfilling your dream. If there is anything we can do to help (other than loaning you money :D) don't be afraid to ask. Other than talking about their frightening experiences, pilots mostly love to give advice. And remember the Prime Directive -- Have Fun!

coloradokevbot
02-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Congrats on starting your training! We need more young people involving themselves in aviation!

I am also a high school senior and just recently turned 18, soloed at 16, and got my license last winter at 17. And its great to see that you are training in a fun plane... I did my training in a Pacer (Real pilots fly taildraggers! :D)... I really understand your situation of paychecks going straight to lessons, I got a job making pizzas just for avgas!

Keep working towards your license, it can be hard at times but its very rewarding!

Ryan Hornback
02-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey Ryan,
I wish you luck on your training. I am a Junior in high school and have started lessons, I currently have around 6 hours. It will be cool to watch you progress since we are both in similar situations! I have always, and still do, watch the sky amazed as planes fly overhead. It is really neat to have found someone who is just a year older than myself, that is also taking flight lessons in high school, and shares the same first name as me. Hopefully we can keep up with each others progress on our journeys. I would love to achieve my private pilots license before I am out of high school. The only problem will be paying for all the lessons. I allready have two jobs, but they are just in the summertime. I hope to pick up another job, just so I can get back up in the air!
-Ryan

jedi
02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Ryan,

Recomended reading "See How It Flies" available free on the internet. After you get the private read "Naval Aviators Handbook". Enjoy and be safe.

rturiak
02-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Hey all! I finaly was able to get back on and check on your post updates! thanks for all the advice, I have another lessons this weekend, My CFI is going to teach me how to properly wash and detail a plane, and will pay me 100$ every time I do, and I'm going to try to get some other business washing planes to make some more $$.

I am in the Sportys recreational pilot ground school, which is free to me because of young eagle flights!

The best advice I can give for anyone looking to get into flying is, to be up at the airport as much as possible, and getting to know contacts and other people. I joined my local EAA chapter, and have many pilot friends, so I can get as much airtime as possible!

I will let you guys know how my lessons goes tomorrow, Gotta get better at landing... My first try i almost ran off the runway from over correcting on the rudder.. guess you gotta learn somehow.

wirejock
02-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Awesome. Bet u get the hang of it quickly. Keep us posted. My grandson may be starting soon. This will be good for him to read and see it can be done. Dreams come true!

rturiak
02-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Also, if any one EVER feels the motivation to help out a young pilot in training.. I GLADLY accept donations.
(;

rosiejerryrosie
02-18-2012, 08:13 AM
"Gotta get better at landing... "
:D All of us can say that!!

rturiak
02-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Had 2 more hours of flight lessons yesterday. Beautiful day for flying here in Camden, SC at KCDN.

Im in the process of finishing up my sportys ground school, and moving on to test prep, getting ready for my knowledge test.

I feel like im really moving along, with 5 hours of training under my belt, if you look at it this way, im 1/4 of the way there already for my checkride!

Moneys been tight, and I have sold alot of my things such as game systems and spare stuff i never use anymore to help pay for lessons,
Another thing I have really realised is, If you love somthing as much as I love flying, money means nothing, and its worth more then every penny.

When landing yesterday, a good crosswind snuck up on me on final, and caugh me off gaurd! Awesome learning experince.

Heres a few pics from my flight yesterday.
16081613161416151616161716181619162016211609161016 1116121612

Tlim486
02-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Your doing something I wouldn't/couldn't do.. Your third wheels on the wrong end of the airplane, It's good to see someone your age pursuing their dream. If I'd have done it at your age, I'd have been flying for 33 years not 4. Live the Dream Tlim

Bill Greenwood
02-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the great photos. Man, you are lucky to be as young and healthy and be starting in such a fine learning airplane as a Champ. I have flown my friend's a bit; almost as good as my J3! He took the Champ all the way from Loveland, Co. to Osh this year.

After you solo and get farther along in your training, you might ask your CFI if you could get one lesson with you in the back seat so that you get a few takeoffs and landings without being able to see out of the front so well, like a lot of other tailwheel airplanes, ie Stearman, T6 etc.

You'll learn cross country nav as the basics, pilotage, (looking at a map and the ground) just as one drives a car, and dead reckoning ( flying a mag course for a certain amount of time at a certain speed and using a certain amount of fuel).

No matter what whiz bang computer loaded wonders you later fly, these basic tools are great to have in your head.

One suggetion, your photo of the two of you is awfully close to the prop. I think you ought to give it a little more care, respect, and distance. A little one like the Champ can just barely kill you.

rturiak
02-24-2012, 11:06 PM
My CFI Kim said the exact same thing, a prop can just barely kill you!!!

The plane recieved a new engine less then a month ago, well, same enging, but 85 HP instead of the standard 65. That puppy takes off and climbs like a rocket!

Im so excited to continue with my flying, and advance far one day and be able to be a CFI to share my passon with others!

rturiak
02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Had another 1 hour lessons today. thats 5/20 now. I felt so much more confident in what I was doing today then any other day I have flowen. I accomplished s-turns and turns around a point awesomely withouth more then a 20 foot change in elevation, and thats with a 10 mph wind. My instructor told me were going to be moving onto other stuff now that I have been doing so well with that stuff.

It feels great to be making such good progress!

rosiejerryrosie
02-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Doing such acceptable turns around a point with a 10 MPH wind is awesome. You are well on your way - keep it up!

rturiak
02-27-2012, 08:56 AM
One of my good buddys has a GoPro camera with a mount, I plan to go flying in his plane next week and have the camera mounted on the vertical stabilizer, should make for an awesome video!

I will post it here if im able to go flying!

rturiak
03-05-2012, 09:32 PM
1688 IM a big flight sim junkie, and won a logitech G940 on ebay for less then half price, i only paid 142$
I got it today and hooked it up, the force feedback is amazing, you can feel the bumps in the runway, the wind hitting the plane, stalls, everything. its so cool to fly with this setup!

rturiak
03-13-2012, 09:06 AM
Another update.. Had a flight lesson this past weekend, We worked on crosswind flying and slips.

My flight instructor was very impressed with my performance, and I credit my knowledge to Flight Simulator X and the abbility to make it so realistic!

Next up, we start landings and crosswind landings!

rturiak
03-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Just another update,
I had a wonderful weekend, Spend 10 hours up at my local airfield, and did some awesome things. I washed two planes (My flight instructors champ, and my good buddys cessna 120) and made 250 bucks washing them, to help pay for flight lessons. After all that, I had a flight lessons, and worked on landings, and pattern work, which I have improved on alot. So now I have 8 hours of flight training.

After all that, me and a few pilots had a break up at the FBO building. A guy has a T-6 Plane up at the airport, and he was getting it out of the hanger to go for a flight. We went out to talk to him, and help him get the plane ready for flight. My good buddy asked him if he had room for a passenger, and was like, sure hop in! but my buddy then pushed me ahead and made me strap in to the plane!! My head was rushing, I had never flown a big plane like this, and it was a fast plane. I was so excited.

We got everything together, taxied over to the runway, and took off, stayed in ground effect till the end of the runway, then pulled back, and took off straight up into the sky!!

we climbed to 3000 feet, and he told me I have the controls, so I took over, and did some smooth turns around the big clouds that were out. The plane flew so smooth and fluid. Then he took over again, and showed me some Acro! It was incredible, flying upside down and doing loops and rolls. He walked me through a full loop, then gave it a shot. It was so weird to fly upside down and make the plane go through that, but felt so awesome. We climbed to about 10,000 feet, and did some rolls with the canopy open, because it was warm in the plane. After realizing that I was almost 2 miles above the ground, with only a harness holding me in from falling to the ground, was thrilling. It was so cool to experience, and fly a vintage warbird, It flew so differently then the little champ I fly. We also did a high speed low pass over over a closed airport, which was incredible. Being 20 feet above the ground, going 210 miles per hour.. there no other feeling like it.

rturiak
03-29-2012, 06:42 AM
Flight simulator X is good for learning navigation, and using the instruments for IRF flying, and basic flying skills how the plane could handle. For a more realistic flying simulator, X Plane 10 has FSX beat by a mile, so much more realistic in the way the plane handles

rturiak
04-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Another update, if anyone is actually still reading this thread!

I Soloed yesterday, as of April 14, 2012 at 9:04 am!

It was a normal lessons, we did a good amount of landings and emergency approach situations. After a while, we taxied back to the Hanger, and I though the lessons was over.. But boy what I wrong! My CFI told me that I was to do 3 take off and landings solo! He gave me a few tips, but I didn't process anything he said, Because the word solo kept repeating in my head. I only have 9 hours of flight training. Every take off and landing in the champ went flawlessly, and so smooth. It was such a joy, pleasure, and wonder to be able to do it all by my self! I still, have that mile wide smile on my face. Once I got back down to earth, my pilot buddies cut the back of my shirt off, and they are gonna fix it up, and frame it for the FBO building!

Blue skies and tailwind!
-Ryan

Jf1450
04-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Let me be the first to congratulate you Ryan! I got started as a young pup also, it's great to hear about your experiences. May all your winds be tail, except on takeoff and landing. :-)

Jeff

rosiejerryrosie
04-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Major congrats, my man!! There will never be anything like your first solo - you have crossed a major milestone. Welcome to the club!!

rturiak
04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Thanks everyone! I have passed the point of no return, Flying will always and forever be part of my life. Once my buddy finishes framing and drawing up on my shirt tail, I will be sure to post a picture, for my next solo, I will have a goPro camera and record it for all to see!

rosiejerryrosie
04-17-2012, 01:27 PM
The camera will be nice but just remember your first and only task is to FLY THE AIRPLANE !!

stwest
04-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi Ryan! Major congratulations on your first solo! You've hit the nail on the head that it is the point of no return. Leonardo Da Vinci said it best,

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will always long to return."

Bill Greenwood
04-18-2012, 10:31 AM
Ryan, congratulations, keep up the good work.
Who owns the T-6 that you got to fly? That is a great ADVANCED trainer, when you get to that stage.

rturiak
05-25-2012, 06:28 AM
Who owns the T-6 that you got to fly? That is a great ADVANCED trainer, when you get to that stage.

There is actually four T-6 aircraft based on my field, Its really an awesome site when they roll the hanger doors back, and to see them 4 birds sitting there. The guy that owns it, his name is Bobby Jonte, he's a airshow pilot, very awesome guy. Awesome pilot!

Eric Page
05-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Congratulations, Ryan! It sounds like you're doing great and having a ball. You'll definitely remember that initial solo the rest of your life. Keep up the great work!

Notsoez891
06-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I still have half a year until I meet the age restriction on solo flight :(. I''ll probably solo in a C150, but my favorite ride was in a Champ. I started out with gliders but there's just not enough activity. My dad started his flight training after I did and almost has his PPL.

I wish somebody would give me a ride in a Texan! There are plenty of warbirds in my area, but everyone's afraid of getting sued.

Last, NOT ALL AIRPLANES ARE METAL! Sure there's pure aluminum monocoque structures and fabric jobs, but my heart belongs to composites. Think about it! I'm building a Long-EZ, and I've got to say that I would've never been able to follow the plans to something like a Wag-Aero Sport trainer and I certainly don't have the wallet for an RV. Follow the build at notsoez891.blogspot.com!

Good Luck!

rturiak
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
To update, because I haven't for a while!!

I currently have 19.8 hours of flight time, and I'm doing my last flight lessons this weekend at 0900 satuday!

This last lesson is a mock check ride, and its with my flight instructors partner, which he has over 25k hours of flight time, he's a pretty decent pilot if you asked me.

I also took my written test today, and made a 88, the only reason my score was so low is because I went through my questions after i finished all them, and changed a few i wasn't sure about... (Pro Tip - use your first answer or guess)

Im planning to do my check ride next week, or the week after! I will be sure to post back and let you guys know how it goes!!

Eric Page
07-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Best of luck for the checkride, Ryan. Looking forward to hearing we've got another licensed pilot!

Bill Greenwood
07-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Ryan, you could almost divide pilots into two classes; those who think an 88 on the written test is good enough, after all it is B+, and then there are those pilots who really have high standards and want to know it all. Glad to see that you are in the latter group, but to be a little more exact there are some things about flying that are good to know,and some things that or life saving vital to know.

rturiak
07-29-2012, 09:08 PM
I have done it! I am officially a sport pilot certificate holder!

Im proud to say that I passed my check ride on Thursday morning. It was quite an interesting day.

Woke up at 5:30, called weather brief, finished my X-country planning, and headed out to the airport. My DPE was supposed to arrive at 8 but didn't, so my flight instructor called him, and my DPE wrote the wrong time in his schedule book, and said he would leave as soon as possible to get to my airport... which sucked, because he was over an hour and a half away. He called a little bit later, and said he would be there in 20 minuets.. and decided to fly instead of driving!

This was a big relief, because my anxiety was off the charts by this time. We got started as soon as he got there. The oral went well, no problems, he shot me a few confusing questions, but I looked them up and had no problems. Then after about 45 minuets, he said lets go fly! That was a huge relief, Because I knew I was half way there by that point. Once we pre-flighted the plane, we hoped it, and started our cross country flight. I arrived to one of the checkpoints along the route no problem, and we did a diversion to another airport about 15 minuets away, one we knew we were on course for it, we broke away and started the air maneuvers. All went perfect and within limits except slow flight, the density altitude was unfortunately bad that day, and I didn't add enough power to stay within limits. My examiner Carroll was very forgiving, and let me try it again. I added more power this time, and everything kept within limits! We were back off to the airport for a few landings now.

Once we got back to the field, he told me to do a basic 3 point landing, which I pulled off flawlessly, it was one of my best landings yet, and he complimented me on the smoothness of it. Then we did a short field landing, and I told him I was going to land on the 2nd strip after the numbers, I touched down EXACTLY at the beginning of that strip, and he said GREAT JOB! and said lets head back to the ramp. I was so excited because I felt I had passed, but I asked if we were going to be doing any wheel landings!? Big mistake... He said okay! Lets do one and see how it goes.... so I climbed back into the pattern, and set up for a wheel landing. I don't have a problem doing them... Its just the fact that I have only done about 8 of them so far. I came in on the approach, and set the wheels down, and pinned the tail down once we lost the airspeed. It was beautiful.

As soon as we exited the active runway, I asked him if I was able to record this flight as Pilot in command time (wondering if I passed) and he said you sure do! Great job!

I got so excited, I almost forgot I was still taxing the plane! We talked about the flight a little, and he said I was one of the most pleasant flight test experiences in a while, he said I acted very professional, and knew all my required information. I felt like gold at this moment, All the hard work, time, and money I have put into this have paid off, and I am a certified pilot. It was the absolutely the best feeling in the world.

I called pretty much everyone I knew, and had to tell the world of my accomplishment!
I was able to get my flight instructor to take my picture, This is the picture. I wanna say thanks to everyone here for the advice and stories they shared with me. Its been the best experience of my life, and I'm not stoping here! Starting PPL training in the next few months!

Me with my first passenger as pilot in command (My aunt) after we did a stall

Cool shot she took of me flying

Eric Page
07-30-2012, 06:14 PM
How did this go 21 hours with no replies?!?!

CONGRATS, RYAN!!! Welcome to the world of licensed pilots! Keep on flying and learning; there's lots more fun to be had.

rturiak
07-30-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks Eric! It's a great feeling! I have a whole list of people to take up flying! Life is good!

rosiejerryrosie
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Major Congrats, Ryan!! We knew you could do it. No longer a penguin - now a bird who can fly! Welcome.....

rturiak
08-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Haha.. I have always felt bad for Penguins and there inability to fly. It's great being a pilot. My future holds so many possibilitys now

John Craparo
12-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Ryan,

Are you related to the late Rose and Bill Turiak (formerly of Merritt Island, FL and Dillon, SC). If so, we are related and Rose and my late mother Jane were sisters...

Thanks,
John
Georgetown, TX

rturiak
01-23-2013, 06:45 PM
To anyone curious about what ever happened after john left this post a few weeks ago, we are related! Cousins actually, and have been talking daily. Its amazing who you can just randomly come across on the internet!