PDA

View Full Version : What's on your Oshkosh bucket list?

Hal Bryan
02-06-2012, 05:22 PM
If you've been here before, or even if you haven't, what are the things you've always wanted to do? If you've only flown commercially and / or driven, maybe you've always wanted to fly-in? If you've stayed in the dorms or a hotel, maybe you've always wanted to camp? Maybe you're hoping to start a project and want to go to a workshop on welding or fabric covering... Maybe your wish list is broader or more unusual, and you'd like to, say, flag down Paul in "Red One" and hitch a ride along the flightline, or get your picture taken in the cockpit of your favorite warbird / antique / homebuilt / what have you?

What do you think? What's on your "must do" list? Or, if you've done it already, what would you tell a friend they needed to put on theirs?

brabecam
02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Just getting to go for once would be nice. Do some of the stuff instead of hearing about it second hand

MickYoumans
02-06-2012, 06:11 PM
The last time I flew up for AirVenture I flew into Austin-Straubel in Green Bay and commuted back and forth to Oshkosh each day. This year I'd like to fly into KOSH and camp next to my plane in the North 40.

steve
02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Now that my friend has completed his RV6 and seldom flies his 182, we may just camp in the Homebuilt section instead of the N40 this year. I've been wanting to attend the welding seminars for a few years now. Maybe even build one of those wood wing ribs, too. Even after 8 OSH visits, there are still new things to do.

Rick Rademacher
02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Hal, I am so glad you ask that question. I have always enjoyed watching the mass formations of T-28s, T-34s, AT-6s and others aircraft take to the skies every year at AirVenture. It would be fantastic if I could fly my Cub in a formation with other Cubs for the 75thanniversary of the J-3 Cub this year.

I can think of about two hundred other Cub owners who are ready to fly with me. We would only need 20 minutes of time for us to pass by everyone on the field if you let us fly downwind. The other way might take a bit longer.

Sonex1517
02-06-2012, 07:28 PM
....Or, if you've done it already, what would you tell a friend they needed to put on theirs?

For any long time hard core attendees, having accomplished two of my own "Oshkosh bucket list items" I would say this:

1. Shoot the airshow from "The Ditch"
2. Get a tour of the ATC facilities (Tower, Fisk, runway)

Each requires a press pass, lots of hard work, a bit of luck and good timing, and is worth everything you put into it. I once believed those two items could not be within my reach, and proved myself wrong on both counts.

Yes - I made personal sacrifices and had to work very hard for each opportunity.

And each is an experience I will remember the rest of my life!

Matt Gonitzke
02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Design and build an airplane, fly it there, and camp under the wing.

Bill
02-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Although I doubt that I'll make it for this year since I'm starting work on my homebuilt (yes, that term doesn't bother me!) at the end of this month, flying my homebuilt to Oshkosh and camping near the wing, but not under since its a low wing, for the week. I've been coming to Oshkosh for over thirty years on and off. Mostly on, but those pesky wars got in the way for those of us who were in the military.

The closest I've gotten to flying in was one week before in an Archer where they already had us landing on the colored dots on runway 9, and another year on a Friday before the official start in a C-172 to give a friend a ride home after he flew his Glass Goose in for the convention when I didn't realize that they closed the airport at 8 PM (neither did he) and I "just" made it out before closing without a second to spare.

I'm waiting to hear "Welcome to Oshkosh" in my headphones.

vaflier
02-06-2012, 08:32 PM
With so much to see and do at Oshkosh, how could I possibly choose just one or two things. I want to see and do it All !!!! To those who have not flown in to Oshkosh, You absolutely must do this ! It was the most exciting thing I have done in an airplane ! Well there was that one other thing but we wont get into that. Just read ,the Notam and go for it. It is not hard but it is truly a thrill.Randy

Kyle Boatright
02-06-2012, 09:05 PM
I'd love to restore a round engine cabin Waco and be able to park in the first row South of the Theater in the Woods.

I *have* landed at the show as a 100 hr pilot flying a Piper Tomahawk on a 650 mile XC. I even stuck the landing in a pretty stiff direct X-wind.

Also, I've been there several times in the RV-6 I built. Amazing feeling. Camping under the wing in "Area 51" is pretty good too.

Ryan Dembroski
02-06-2012, 09:39 PM
I've heard tales of people giving flights around the grounds in (on?) their Breezys - sounds like it would be a blast. That's just the tip of the iceberg - I don't think any one person could ever do everything there is to do.

lnckosh
02-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Ride in a P-51 Mustang and a Boeing Sterman and watch the Friday show from the roof of the FAA hangar and eat lunch with Audrey Poberezny !!! :)

steveinindy
02-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Track down Harrison Ford and get him to endorse my logbook for flights in the Millenium Falcon. ;)

Zack Baughman
02-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I'd love to take a flight over the grounds in Aluminum Overcast, or perhaps one day lift off from Wittman for a ride into space aboard SpaceShipTwo or one of its compatriots.

Payton009
02-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Win that darn airplane! That cub would be nice ;)

Treetop_Flyer
02-08-2012, 06:14 PM
I'd love to see Jimmy Buffett perform in Aeroshell Square (and no...I will never call it Conoco-Phillips Plaza or whatever it is now) on the opening night. Who's with me?

MEdwards
02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
I'd love to see Jimmy Buffett perform in Aeroshell Square (and no...I will never call it Conoco-Phillips Plaza or whatever it is now) on the opening night. Who's with me?I'm with you, but a comment from EAA staff last year said unfortunately Jimmy Buffett is way, way, way too expensive, and thus they get entertaining but second tier acts. Personally, I don't see the problem, since I don't go to Oshkosh to attend a rock concert, but yes, Jimmy Buffett would be fun. Maybe the newly reconfigured EAA staff has another take on this?

JimRice85
02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Fly my Cub to Oshkosh for the 75th...

Chris In Marshfield
02-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Fly my own homebuilt airplane into OSH and camp under the wing is bucket item #1.

This year, I want to walk down every row from homebuilt parking to vintage. I haven't gotten to do that yet!

My son and I have been camping together for a number of years in Scholler. Now that he's 12, I think he'll tolerate going to some of the workshops and actually learning something! KidVenture lost its luster for him last year, I think. Time to get him into the big-boy adventures! ;)

Green Goggles
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
I have always stayed off the airport grounds.
One bucket item would be to fly my Mooney in and camp on the grounds with my wife.

Item number two would be to arrive at OSH in an airplane that I built myself.
After those two items, I will have hit all the critical points of AirVenture!

Jeff Point
02-08-2012, 08:38 PM
I've heard tales of people giving flights around the grounds in (on?) their Breezys - sounds like it would be a blast. That's just the tip of the iceberg - I don't think any one person could ever do everything there is to do.Ironically, my next bucket item is to finish my Breezy project, take it to Oshkosh and give rides. It would be an honor to follow in the footsteps of Carl who started it all and Arnie who has carried on the tradition for years. @Ryan- the Milwaukee chapter meets on the 4th Tuesdays at MWC. Contact me if your interested.

Tex Sonex
02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
Just to go during Airventure!! Been an EAA member for 41 years, been to the museum and Pioneer Airport twice in June, but never been there for a convention. Now that I'm building a Sonex, need to visit their facility as well.

Jim Klick
02-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I have camped in a tent, van, motor home, and stayed at UW Osh, and at the University in FDL, plusthe Comm Center bunk room. That one took the most Volunteer time.I have had my picture taken in: U-2, NASA scissor-wing, F-15, A-380, all of the Pitts at the Tribute toCurtiss display (one of them was my S1S).The secret to all of this is VOLUNTEER. That opens doors that you would not believe.I spent a lot of years working (it didn't seem like work) in the Comm Center. I met a lot of peoplethat are still friends.Giving your time is appreciated as much as giving money to EAA. Perhaps more.Disclaimer:I am not, nor have I ever been an employee of EAA or IAC. I have just been fortunate enough tohave time available to help an organization I deeply believe in.Jim KlickS1S N9JTEAA 106287IAC 6870AOPA 682160

Ryan Dembroski
02-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Ironically, my next bucket item is to finish my Breezy project, take it to Oshkosh and give rides. It would be an honor to follow in the footsteps of Carl who started it all and Arnie who has carried on the tradition for years. @Ryan- the Milwaukee chapter meets on the 4th Tuesdays at MWC. Contact me if your interested.

Thanks Jeff - I'd love the details. I'll shoot you a message.

rawheels
02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Every year I plan to go to the seaplane base, but never have. It is on the list again for this year. I'd also like to catch any "warbirds in review" type presentations that may occur with post-Korean War pilots.

Other than that, here are some other things that would be neat to see at AirVenture sometime:
- I would like to see carrier landings demonstrated.
- I would like to look inside an AWAC or Hurricane Hunter aircraft that had units simulating what they actually see on the screens when they are in the middle of action.
- Fantasy of Flight has (or had) a group of full motion Corsair simulators all linked up together. It would be neat to see a whole row of these things lined up with daily tournaments or something. At a minimum, maybe the new Microsoft Flight group will set some kind of competition up.
- I would like to see a Concorde arrival in person. (We ARE dreaming here, right?)

MEdwards
02-15-2012, 12:42 PM
- I would like to see a Concorde arrival in person. (We ARE dreaming here, right?)Since we're dreaming, I'd like to see the last flying Vulcan bomber come to Oshkosh.

Hal Bryan
02-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Since we're dreaming, I'd like to see the last flying Vulcan bomber come to Oshkosh.

I'll second that! I'd love to see a Vulcan fly once more...!

FlyingRon
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I don't have a Breezy, but you don't usually have to twist my arm too hard to get a ride in the Navion during Airventure. Once I go to the effort of pushing it out of the campsite and getting it walked out to the runway, I usually end up doing multiple trips...

Some day I'd like to fly in the airshow or showcase proper...

Floatsflyer
02-19-2012, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=rawheels;11199]Every year I plan to go to the seaplane base, but never have. QUOTE]

It's well worth it to take the 10 minutes to bus there. It offers a great diversion from the big crowds, it's tranquill and there's lots of activity on the water. Seaplanes rule!!!

Ozzie
02-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I was glad i made the effort to go to the seaplane base last year, great reprieve from the heat and crowd. Fast! bus ride out there.

Jim Hann
02-29-2012, 10:08 AM
I think I did my bucket list. My Dad passed away suddenly on February 14, 2012 but we had numerous trips to OSH between 1996 up through and including last year. Miss you Dad!

steveinindy
02-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Holy crap Jim. I am pretty sure that had a brief conversation with your dad at Oshkosh last year. I'm sorry to hear about his passing. He was such a nice fellow. I wish I had gotten more of a chance to talk with him.

Jim Hann
03-01-2012, 07:13 PM
Steve it is entirely possible, he would talk to anybody if was about airplanes. Would have probably had my sister with him, she's the one on the far left in the dark shirt in the first picture.

I miss him a lot Steve, he was a good man, and taking him to Oshkosh the years I did was a highlight for both of us!

Jim

steveinindy
03-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Yeah, that was him then. I'm glad you have fond memories of your dad. I am trying to get my dad and my fiancee's father to come along to Oshkosh with Kat and I this year. It is something I would like to share with the both of them.

Bell47pilot
03-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I'd like to fly "FIFI" to AirVenture, but I'm gonna be busy giving rides in the Bell 47's :-)

HighAlt1022
03-13-2012, 02:47 PM
I would love to take a ride in the ford tri motor.

FlyingRon
03-13-2012, 03:14 PM
I would love to take a ride in the ford tri motor.
Done that, yes it was fun.

Danny6414W
05-09-2012, 08:57 AM
AirVenture 2012 will be my 30th consecutive trip to Oshkosh. I have been lucky enough to attend every year since the year I was born (my dad took me when I was 2 months old). Last year I was able to achieve one of my outstanding bucket list items and flew into Oshkosh for the first time. I have also walked the entire grounds in 1 day, just to say it could be done...from the last row of airplanes past the threshold of 36 to the north 40, all exhibit buildings, commercials exhibits, Pioneer airport/compass hill (and helicopter ride), the museum, and seaplane base. It was not easy, but it can be done!

Although I’ve knocked off a lot on my bucket list, there are still a few outstanding. Here are the top 5

I have never flown in a warbird and would love to go for a ride in a T-6 or T-28 at Oshkosh
Fly in Aluminum Overcast
Hold the ribbon for Sean D. Tucker
Visit the control tower
Win the sweepstakes plane...who wouldn't :)

Danny

Jim Clark
05-09-2012, 09:57 PM
I'd love to restore a round engine cabin Waco and be able to park in the first row South of the Theater in the Woods.Kyle, bring your chair and sit with us. We'll be in the 1939 Waco EGC-8 Cabin in the CAA black and orange livery.

hydroguy2
05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
let's see
1. build a plane and fly it KOSH landing on a colored dot........done 2011
2. fly my plane during one of the featured displays with everyone looking at me....hopefully in 2012

Sawdust
05-15-2012, 11:15 PM
I've been attending with my son, camping at Scholler, volunteering with FLO each afternoon. It's awesome, and we're so looking forward to being again in 2 months. I wouldn't change a thing, but I would add one thing for my "bucket list". I'm a video nut, been doing volunteer work with local schools for years. Would LOVE to work video on the flight line, filming the most amazing people, planes, and performances. Called and asked once about volunteering, they said the video is pretty much all professional or full-time people.

davidsflying
07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
First time for me so a big list lol. This year I just want to watch the airshows, go to some seminars and see as much as I can without rushing. Camping there is going to be great too (first time camping in 10 years lol).