PDA

View Full Version : What are crank pliers?

Chippychap
02-03-2012, 05:47 AM
Hi guys, I recently inherited my father-in-law's belongings and am assimilating his tools with mine.

One hand tool has me absolutely baffled.

My F-I-L had no link with aviation but, like me, was interested in interesting bits and bobs.

This bod-

http://www.militaryantiques.co.uk/showpagec.ihtml?cat=397&jump=6

-has one similar but his and mine have no crowsfoot mark.

Any ideas guys?

BCAIRPORT
02-10-2012, 05:42 AM
Need better picture of the busness end but appears to be a pop rivit puller as used on Cherry Max aviation rivits. Maybe??

Chippychap
02-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Sorry about the picture

Hope this shows the gubbins more closely.

ken

uavmx
02-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Need better picture of the busness end but appears to be a pop rivit puller as used on Cherry Max aviation rivits. Maybe??

wow, really good guess and it seriously looks that way. Crankshaft might be misleading nomenclature

BCAIRPORT
02-11-2012, 06:50 AM
Says "Crank", not "Crankshaft"
First, is there a hole in the tip to the left, if so, round (size) or rectangular. Could be very early band tightening device (as per tywrap)
Just read caption on website picture. Sounds more like some kind of Brit propeller tool (if the writer had a clue) Looked up the company, now Airborne Systems, parachute/ airborne delivery company in UK. Very interesting! Will dig deeper. I am a retired designer of tools and heavy equipment thus, this one has my mind whirrling.

uavmx
02-11-2012, 07:24 PM
First, is there a hole in the tip to the left, if so, round (size) or rectangular. Could be very early band tightening device (as per tywrap)
Just read caption on website picture. Sounds more like some kind of Brit propeller tool (if the writer had a clue) Looked up the company, now Airborne Systems, parachute/ airborne delivery company in UK. Very interesting! Will dig deeper. I am a retired designer of tools and heavy equipment thus, this one has my mind whirrling.

sorry, just a slip of the keyboard :-D

BCAIRPORT
02-13-2012, 07:46 AM

Found the company and sent an inquirey.
Recieved the following with attached photo:

"Good morning Mr Doughty,

Thank you for your enquiry. The part you require is no longer available but our metal buyer has enquired on your behalf and found that Amfast can supply a part very similar:

AML502's were the forerunner of SP26 rivet pliers - please see attached

Mr Cliff Myers
AMFAST LTD
Southdown Road Ind Est
Harpenden
Herts
AL5 1PW

Tel 44 (0) 1582 715150
Fax 44 (0) 1582 712120
cliffmyers@am-fast.co.uk

www.am-fast.co.uk (http://www.am-fast.co.uk/)

Kind regards
Maureen Udy"