PDA

View Full Version : What tents for Oshkosh

Larry Lyons
01-30-2012, 08:54 AM
This is in relpy to the thread about used tent poles and saving them. How about some advice or guidence on what works best for the least. I know there are a wide viaritity of users but last year I was on of the ones that suffered a broken pole. I was able to fix enough to get through the week but after looking for a new/better one I am totaly confused, there are dozens very similer to one another out there. So, with that in mind and having seen more then just a couple of tents at Oshkosh I suspect there would be some advice on what to look for, what to stay away from, this one is great but hot, this one is expensive and you can get the same thing for half, etc.
Thanks, Larry

keen9
01-30-2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/view-tents-cabelas-alaskan-guide-model-tent-1.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleBaseUSA&WT.z_mc_id1=714588&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=3117DE51-F5D2-DF11-82EF-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA

Expensive, but you will not get wet, and it will stay standing.

spongebobiwan
01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
We bought one of these tents last year and are totally pleased with it. You can find them on sale during different times of the year. I think we found a great sale at Target for ours last year, but Amazon and other places have them for sale at pretty good prices. If ease of setup is of any concern, THIS is the tent for you:

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=2000007832#.Tybh6ZgYTTM

(http://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?product_id=2000007832#.Tybh6ZgYTTM)P.S. You must click the link on that page to view the video. And yes, it really does set up that easily and quickly.

FlyingRon
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Agreed, just about everybody in our little compound has switched over to Cabelas dome tents in various sizes.

Kyle Boatright
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
My current "air camping" tent is from REI. A bit pricey, but it really does the job. IMO, the two big things you're looking for are aluminum poles and a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground.

steveinindy
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Sturdy, waterproof and able to stand up to high winds. Basically either a mountaineering tent or one of the high-end multi-room tents would be about the only things I would bring. That said, I'll just pay more and rent a house or room at the university.

FlyingRon
01-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Of course, we got really lazy and just rented a storage locker at Oshkosh. All our tents, chairs, coolers, etc... stay there over the winter.

Jim Hann
01-31-2012, 06:34 AM
I've had great luck with a Coleman 7 man dome tent, it is not a pure dome at 14X7 but it is dome style. It has gone through many big storms at OSH without any problems, well except when we didn't zip the windows up when it rained... :(

I've seen many "lodge" style tents flattened and in the trash after a big storm at OSH, they don't flex, they bend and break.

Treetop_Flyer
01-31-2012, 07:20 AM
We bought a Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3 GT a couple of years ago from REI. It was a little spendy at the time ($275 I think) but we couldn't be happier. It is lightweight and bombproof. We've done at least 3 trips to Oshkosh with it and never had an issue. One thing I would recommend with any tent is to get a "footprint" that matches your tent. It can mean the difference between the floor being wet or dry. I also recommend any tent that uses a "bathtub" floor design as well a sealed seams. A good rainfly is also a must.

Gary Brossett
01-31-2012, 08:48 AM
Sturdy, waterproof and able to stand up to high winds. Basically either a mountaineering tent or one of the high-end multi-room tents would be about the only things I would bring. That said, I'll just pay more and rent a house or room at the university.

I'll 2nd the sturdy & waterproof! In a rush, I borrowed a small dome tent from a relative in '04. It was one of those they practically give away at Wally World. My wife and I had quite the experience in a storm that passed through. Regardless of the size tent, buy a quality one!

steveinindy
01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
I'll 2nd the sturdy & waterproof! In a rush, I borrowed a small dome tent from a relative in '04. It was one of those they practically give away at Wally World. My wife and I had quite the experience in a storm that passed through. Regardless of the size tent, buy a quality one!

Yeah, the tent I used at the last minute last year (because my normal camping tent was stolen by my psychotic ex-girlfriend) underwent a torture test when that windstorm came through. I was in it at the time and finally resorted to pulling the tent poles out of place to reduce it's profile in the wind. I was getting lifted off the ground and didn't feel like taking a wild ride.

That said, we are planning on staying in a rental home or at the university. I am just not that fond of Camp Scholler.

Richard Warner
02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Instant Tent 8

Model No. 2000007832
Product No LOnger Available. :(

rawheels
02-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Instant Tent 8

Model No. 2000007832
Product No LOnger Available. :(

Try this one: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2000010195&categoryid=11025&brand= Guess they decided it was worth about $70 more than before.

Also, according to their company's youtube account, they will be introducing a version that has a rain fly this spring.

lesnyd
02-04-2012, 05:31 PM
We have an REI 2-man dome tent. Not roomy, but it keeps out the rain and has zipper doors on both sides so either of us can get in or out with disturbing the other. Not cheap (common thread here, right?) though. My first Oshkosh I had a $29 Walmart tent and the first day a thunderstorm soaked everything in the tent!

Frank Smidler
02-05-2012, 05:37 PM
What size and wt of tent are you looking for? For example, I fly in an RV-6 and am very weight conscious and need room for two. I also wanted something that will stand up to high winds. In my case I have a 3 man light wt backpacking tent that has aluminum poles (strongest). It weights only 6.5 lbs and with full (to the ground) rain fly it holds up to strong winds and heavy rains with no bending over or flooding. REI is a good vendor for this type of tent as is many other backpacking camping special stores. Look for a 3 season tent, you are not planning a mountain expedition. With smart shopping you can get a good tent for $150 to $200.

From my personal 30+ year OSH experience, if you go with a cheap tent from a big box store, with fiberglass poles and a rain fly that only comes down 1/2 way, it will do you well for 5 out of 6 years at OSH but when that big storm comes plan to take all your clothing and bedding to a local laundry to dry them all out.

Good luck on your search.

steveinindy
02-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Look for a 3 season tent, you are not planning a mountain expedition

Although if you're looking for low-weight and high wind and rain tolerance, you really can't beat the tents designed for climbers.

Kyle Boatright
02-05-2012, 07:32 PM
What size and wt of tent are you looking for? For example, I fly in an RV-6 and am very weight conscious and need room for two. I also wanted something that will stand up to high winds. In my case I have a 3 man light wt backpacking tent that has aluminum poles (strongest). It weights only 6.5 lbs and with full (to the ground) rain fly it holds up to strong winds and heavy rains with no bending over or flooding. REI is a good vendor for this type of tent as is many other backpacking camping special stores. Look for a 3 season tent, you are not planning a mountain expedition. With smart shopping you can get a good tent for $150 to $200.

From my personal 30+ year OSH experience, if you go with a cheap tent from a big box store, with fiberglass poles and a rain fly that only comes down 1/2 way, it will do you well for 5 out of 6 years at OSH but when that big storm comes plan to take all your clothing and bedding to a local laundry to dry them all out.

Good luck on your search.

This is my tent. It is very, very light. I didn't pay the current price for it. I probably paid ~$200 for it and have been very pleased.

http://www.rei.com/product/827799/rei-quarter-dome-t3-tent

rawheels
02-06-2012, 07:19 AM
Are there any tents that are made in the USA, or at least North America?

steveinindy
02-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Personally, I wouldn't trust them if there were. Like with most things (wine, cheese, beer, cars, etc), the best tents tend to be imports.

rawheels
02-07-2012, 07:55 AM
I disagree. I think you are confusing "cheap" with "better". A lot of things made in the USA are superior, just too expensive. If the price is right and the quality is good, I'd rather spend my money on something made here.

Larry Lyons
02-07-2012, 09:12 AM
As the origonal poster here, thanks for all the info. One thing I was worried about was a tent that was tuff enough to withstand the wind and rain and still be cool enough for Oshkosh in July! The nights can be killers! The REI or maybe a Cabelas are looking pretty good to me right now, I will watch for a sale price somewhere. Larry

steveinindy
02-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I disagree. I think you are confusing "cheap" with "better". A lot of things made in the USA are superior, just too expensive. If the price is right and the quality is good, I'd rather spend my money on something made here.

Eh. I haven't seen anything built here in those categories I mentioned (outside of wine and beer) that even comes close to their foreign competition. I'm not going to pay more just because it's made here but then again I tend to lack the nationalistic pride that affects many people.

MEdwards
02-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Are there any tents that are made in the USA, or at least North America?Some fine and expensive mountaineering tents were made in the USA at least a few years ago. I have owned tents from Bibler and Stephenson's Warmlite made in USA. Both were excellent. I'm pretty sure the Stephenson's are still made in New England. Bibler is now owned by Black Diamond, and I'd be surprised if they're still made in USA, though I'll bet they're still good.

My tent for Oshkosh is a 20 year old authorized Asian knockoff of a classic, old, North Face dome tent. The North Face was at that time made in USA. Mine was then a good tent for half the money of the original USA-made tent. Unfortunately that's the way it goes.

Jim Heffelfinger
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
I tried to respond a few days ago but - I guess I didn't "send" it correctly.

Backpacker Magazine picked the REI " Dome 4" as their family tent . it's reasonably priced (yes imported) and has good features. even comes with a pole splint. http://www.rei.com/product/777757/rei-camp-dome-4-tent It is an inexpensive 3 season tent. Buy the footprint - ground cloth - to protect the main tent floor from "pokies" also keeps the main tent floor cleaner - easy to wash the footprint.

One of the big problems is the rain fly - WAY TOO many big box store tents have these tiny handkerchiefs as a rain fly. First rain and wind - everything is wet.

Looking forward to my first AV. It keeps moving ahead of me as the economy remains stalled. Time or money - never seem to have both together.

skeeter_ca
02-20-2012, 01:35 PM
They only thing i don't like about the full rainflys is then it blocks ventilation and seeing outside. I'm looking at a few different tents and i would think ventilation would be a big thing during the hot muggy days. Thunderstorms can hit at any time so you would have to keep the rainfly on all the time and that would cut the ventilation through the tent. What is the best option?

skeeter

Kyle Boatright
02-20-2012, 05:07 PM
They only thing i don't like about the full rainflys is then it blocks ventilation and seeing outside. I'm looking at a few different tents and i would think ventilation would be a big thing during the hot muggy days. Thunderstorms can hit at any time so you would have to keep the rainfly on all the time and that would cut the ventilation through the tent. What is the best option?

skeeter

You're not in the tent during the day, so the heat isn't a big issue and you leave the fly on unless you're nearby. At night, you can open the rain fly and enjoy the breeze. When the thunder gets loud enough, you close the fly...

Spindrift
02-21-2012, 12:36 AM
As someone who has been in the Outdoor industry for almost 20 years, it amazes me that aviation enthusiasts who spend thousands on annuals and parts measured in $1k increments are not willing to spend the money it takes to buy equipment that will ensure a comfortable camping experience. Having recently lost my job due to "downsizing," I have no loyalty to any specific company, but can hopefully shed some light on what to look for when buying a tent.

The comment regarding mountaineering-oriented tents is a good starting point, but what you need for something like Oshkosh is known as a 3-season backpacking tent. Non-negotiable features should include: aluminum poles, not fiberglass (although carbon fiber is on the horizon but will be expensive, of course); a full rain fly that extends almost to the ground; fully seam taped floor and rain fly; as much no-see-um mesh as possible for maximum ventilation in the humid climate.

Some other considerations: Unless weight is an absolute consideration, buy one size larger than you need, i.e. a 3-person for 2-person camping. It will add about a pound, but give you way more space to move around and keep your stuff dry in a downpour. A vestibule is nice - it adds space covered by the rain fly but outside the living space, perfect for wet shoes, or even cooking if necessary. Windows in the rain fly are nice but not critical. The rain fly is necessary even in clear weather due to dew in the humid climate of OSH.

When setting up, stake out the rain fly as much as possible to maximize air flow underneath. If its clear, you can leave the door open, but anything exposed will get wet from dew.

To address the other comments: unfortunately the skills and knowledge required to sew complex products has all but been lost in the US, at any price. Also, the high quality fabrics required for lightweight, truly waterproof tents are mostly produced in Taiwan, even for domestic production. However, the design, development, sourcing, marketing, customer service and distribution of outdoor products still supports a great deal of good paying US jobs... hopefully to soon include a new one for me so I don't have to sell my RV!

-- bill
Portland, OR
RV-7 purchased flying

rawheels
02-21-2012, 06:25 AM
it amazes me that aviation enthusiasts who spend thousands on annuals and parts measured in $1k increments are not willing to spend the money

Maybe that IS the reason we must budget on everything else. Especially on items that might only be used 1 week in the year.

Larry Lyons
02-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Rawheels your right that is exactly why we budget. However Spindrift thanks for your comments, that is exactly what I was looking for when I stated this thread. One more time my computer has helped pay its way! Larry

Ozzie
02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Travelling to Oshkosh from overseas for me is a travelling light affair so i have have to hit Walmart for a camping setup that i leave behind at the end of the show. So cheap it has to be and i accept the limitations of that. Luckily i also have a hire car to fall back on when it rains like last year. What would be a great benefit to myself and others that have to travel light is that maybe some local organisations could set up a small tent city with a few facilities like a common BBQ to rent out. Maybe some of the Scout type groups could make a dollar or two from that. Small water proof tent and off the ground cot would make life a bit easier when coping from a couple of days travel, jetlag, driving on the wrong side of the road and jumping straight into the event. I'd gladly pay a couple of hundred for the week for a service like that. Last trip to Walmart came up a bit short in the tent dept.

ozzie

skeeter_ca
02-23-2012, 07:09 PM
What would be cool is if you could mail your camping equipment or any items you needed but didn't want to take on the plane to Oshkosh and then they would hold it till you got there and then mail it back afterwards. Sort of like a short term storage facility.

skeeter

steveinindy
02-23-2012, 07:10 PM
although carbon fiber is on the horizon but will be expensive, of course

We're a forum of people who build airplanes out of the stuff. I'm sure most of us could very easily make tent poles out of it for our own use. LOL

Ozzie
02-24-2012, 03:34 AM
What would be cool is if you could mail your camping equipment or any items you needed but didn't want to take on the plane to Oshkosh and then they would hold it till you got there and then mail it back afterwards. Sort of like a short term storage facility.

skeeter

They did do this up until a couple of years ago. But it is not mentioned now on the website. Onsite US post was not there last year either.
The South Africans store all their equipment on site so maybe that could also be an option especially people camping together each year.
ozzie

Bell47pilot
03-09-2012, 09:16 AM
For ten years I used the cheapest little two man tent, but I'd put a tarp over the ground AND another tarp over the top of the tent and use my camp chairs and bungees to hold it open for airflow. Got some strange looks from the neighbors till the mandatory thunderstorm and torrential downpour hit, then they understood :-) I also used a second tent as a closet for all my crap. Unfortunately the crime rate has risen a bit at AirVenture and I found that out of sight, out of thieving hands worked for me. Now I get to stay in a motel :-)

malexander
03-09-2012, 08:39 PM
For ten years I used the cheapest little two man tent, but I'd put a tarp over the ground AND another tarp over the top of the tent and use my camp chairs and bungees to hold it open for airflow. Got some strange looks from the neighbors till the mandatory thunderstorm and torrential downpour hit, then they understood :-) I also used a second tent as a closet for all my crap. Unfortunately the crime rate has risen a bit at AirVenture and I found that out of sight, out of thieving hands worked for me. Now I get to stay in a motel :-)

Wow, I didn't know things were coming up missing. I leave so much stuff out at the 5th wheel in the campground it's unreal. I can't imagine trying to put it all away when I leave for the day. Matter of fact, I saw phones & laptops plugged in being chaarged at the shower houses.

Kyle Boatright
03-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Wow, I didn't know things were coming up missing. I leave so much stuff out at the 5th wheel in the campground it's unreal. I can't imagine trying to put it all away when I leave for the day. Matter of fact, I saw phones & laptops plugged in being chaarged at the shower houses.

In 2011, quite a few cell phones were stolen from the shelf/charging station outside the showers in Homebuilt Camping. Cell phones are easy to swipe, conceal, and carry and can be sold pretty easily. The cookware and folding chairs at your campsite probably aren't at risk.

Mike M
03-10-2012, 12:33 PM
the cheapest little two man tent, but I'd put a tarp over the ground AND another tarp over the top of the tent

we must share a utility helicopter operator mentality. i do the same thing, cheap dome tent and harbor freight tarps. works great. and i can use the tarps for other stuff until i need new ones (usually ten bucks a pair) to impress (NOT) the people who think you have to buy megabucks imported take-it-to-everest type schtuff to be happy in wisconsin. "mine is bigger than yours" doesn't impress me any more. function that meets the budget makes more sense.

MEdwards
03-11-2012, 01:55 PM
In 2011, quite a few cell phones were stolen from the shelf/charging station outside the showers in Homebuilt Camping. Cell phones are easy to swipe, conceal, and carry and can be sold pretty easily.Folks might be interested in an alternative. Vintage has a staffed "charging station" at their red barn where you can leave your device, get a receipt, they'll charge it, and you can retrieve it later. You have to pay a attention to their hours, but aside from that, it's great. I believe they didn't charge for the service but asked for a contribution.

Kevin O'Halloran
03-11-2012, 02:50 PM
The American Bonanza society tent has a free charging station .
Many people stop in for a cool drink, pop corn and to sit down in the shade.
Kevin

skeeter_ca
03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Folks might be interested in an alternative. Vintage has a staffed "charging station" at their red barn where you can leave your device, get a receipt, they'll charge it, and you can retrieve it later. You have to pay a attention to their hours, but aside from that, it's great. I believe they didn't charge for the service but asked for a contribution.

Kevin

Both those are cool! I was worried about having to sit around my phone for an hour waiting for it to charge. Would be cool if they didn't close till late and opened early so you could leave it to charge overnight.

skeeter

steveinindy
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Yeah, they've saved my highly overheated butt on more than one occasion.

Both those are cool! I was worried about having to sit around my phone for an hour waiting for it to charge.

My practice has always been to carry at least two batteries for my cell phone. Charge them both at night before bed and then you're good for a couple of days.

cptomes
05-12-2012, 09:48 AM
We have a "modified dome" Coleman, no longer made. It's handled every Airventure since 2006 without a problem, including wind and thunderstorms. The only time it gets wet inside is when we leave the inner "window" panels unzipped when it rains, even though it's not got a full fly. I always put tarps down. Old Boy Scout trick is to never have the tarp siticking out from under the tent. I see lots of people make that mistake. Then it just makes a nice wet platter for the tent to sit in. Better to let the outer 6" of tent sit on the ground.

They are all made by 2 or 3 manufacturers now, all overseas, I'm pretty sure. The "quality" comes from the options selected by the designer when ordered.

I'm not sure why there is a bias against fiberglass poles. I've never had one break.

Sawdust
05-15-2012, 10:57 PM
We've camped the last four years at OSH, including the big wind/rain storm last year, in a Coleman 3 room tent. Works and holds up great. This thing claims it sleeps 8, which seems like overkill for 2 people, but it is great to have the space to secure your "stuff" during the day, and to sit and/or eat inside if it's raining. Obviously we drive in, so we can afford the extra weight and size.

Interesting discussions about the rain fly -our fly covers the entire top and down about a foot over the sides, but nowhere near the ground. We've had no issues with rain at all, even in the big thunderstorm, and the ventilation is good because of the foot of airspace between the fly and the mesh "ceiling".

My best advice - seam seal. Buy a bottle at a camping or sports/outdoor store. Set up the tent in your yard, and seal all the seams, inside and outside, TWICE. Let it dry in between. Even do the zippers. My tent does not leak at all with the seam seal applied.