PDA

View Full Version : Non owner insurance

gscott12
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I am looking into taking flying lessons and was wondering about insurance. The flying club that I want to join has a $5000 deductible in the event if I damage their airplane. My question is should I buy enough insurance just to cover the deductible or should I buy enough to cover the entire plane? I am worried that the insurance company could come back and sue me for their loss if the damages exceed $5000. What do all of you guys/gals do?

JeffCasto
01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I am looking into taking flying lessons and was wondering about insurance. The flying club that I want to join has a $5000 deductible in the event if I damage their airplane. My question is should I buy enough insurance just to cover the deductible or should I buy enough to cover the entire plane? I am worried that the insurance company could come back and sue me for their loss if the damages exceed $5000. What do all of you guys/gals do?

I have a non-owners policy for $5000. It costs me $158/yr. I think it's worth it. I would not buy any extra insurance.

Have fun with your lessons!

Jeff

Mike Switzer
01-10-2012, 05:31 PM
Find out who the club has insurance with, and get your renter's insurance from them. If you and the club are both insured thru the same company there is pretty much no chance of them subrogating against you. Our club's policy is thru Avemco and the deductible is only like $500 so I don't have damage on my policy but I do have my personal liability thru Avemco.