PDA

View Full Version : where to start?

hhobbit
07-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Hello
i arrived in Chicago for a funeral and now it's over am free to rent and fly into Oshkosh in a C172. I found some good things on the airventure website but would love to learn to speak in American:P. and listen too. You guys can be difficult to comprehend on radio; you say stuff differently and I will keep making a nuisance of myself with "say again" . Apart from liveATC any other links to resources available? TIA

steveinindy
07-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Assuming that this isn't a joke, if you have a hard time understanding American English then you probably should not be trying to fly into Oshkosh by yourself.

hhobbit
07-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Assuming that this isn't a joke, if you have a hard time understanding American English then you probably should not be trying to fly into Oshkosh by yourself.

not a joke; it was my explicitly stated concern. If its as big a problem as you say, maybe you are right. that's why i'm on liveatc right now.

Adam Smith
07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I think it was a joke. Where are you from, hobbit? When I moved to the USA from flying in the UK there were some unusual phrases to learn, but it wasn't too hard to get by.

hhobbit
07-22-2011, 01:30 PM
the smiley was for tongue in cheek effect. I found some of the controllers too fast for me when I went up yesterday for the first time since my training in Florida. I got by as you say, but am a bit concerned to be on top of things flying in. Instructor told me some horror stories.

Chad Jensen
07-22-2011, 03:48 PM
All you have to do is listen, rock your wings, and comply. I think listening to LiveATC is going to help a lot if you do fly in there. I've done it many times, the first time was nerve wracking, but just stay calm, and LISTEN...don't talk.

Anymouse
07-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Actually, for Oshkosh specifically, try looking at some YouTube videos.

Janet Davidson
07-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Hey, you made it off pprune! :) Did you bring this soggy weather with you???

I believe there's a little radio EAA sells that you can use to listen in to ATC while here. I reckon it doesn't take all that long for one's ears to tune in to the accent(s). Don't forget, just as you've got the hang of the Chicago area ATC, and come to Oshkosh, the controllers are from all over the country, so the accents vary considerably. There's been a Scottish guy working ATC before now!

When are you flying up? Hope you have a great time.

hhobbit
07-23-2011, 09:57 PM
LiveATC is a gift, Ive had it on in the background and I'm getting it faster now. Planning to fly in in a rental C172 Monday 1130 with the proviso of a satisfactory checkout at KARR. I asked for simultaneous BFR. Hey this weather is marvellous compared to the swelter in Ovenland this past week!!. Irish blood doesn't like it much:cool:

Edit: yes thank you for you tube hint, the controllers didn't seem that difficult to follow.

hhobbit
07-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Flew in in a rental 172R yesterday - amazing but a bit scary TBH. The 172R has fuel injection which was great coming from a 912 machine. I got misdirected to 27 after being told 36 which was disconcerting and dangerous. Two RV cowboys overtook me on downwind 200 ft higher, WTF. One was told go around they were on top of each other as well. Then had to taxi right around 27 the whole way to park, 20 mins @ $123/hr! Unfortunately the renters want minimum hours which would made under wing camping prohibitive, so back later today by car. Hoping to find a camping arrangement under someone's (airplane) wing...

FSMP
07-26-2011, 10:33 AM
Congrats hhobbit. Well done.

As you expereinced, flying into Oshkosh, is not 100% about YOUR flying and ATC Communication skills -- a lot is your ability to deal with other "problem" pilots, flying close to you.!!

There is an alarming Utube audio, from a year or so ago, of a pilot arguing with Milwaukee Approach, and insisting that he be allowed to fly into Oshkosh during Oshkosh week, without having even read the Notams, let alone having a copy in his aircraft. ( he was sent back to his depature airport, to get (and read) the Notams -- and rightly so)

I'll resist passing comments about RV licenses .. or I might get chucked out of here.
Let me just say, I feel a lot safer when I can get to fly in Class B airspace these days :)

Geoff

Anymouse
07-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Probably not the same guy, but when I flew into Oshkosh back in 2008 from the time shortly before I arrived at FISKE to after I turned off the runway, some wonder pilot flying a Hawker was arguing with ATC that he didn't have to abide by the NOTAM since he wasn't participating in Airventure.

Sheesh!

FSMP
07-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Probably not the same guy, but when I flew into Oshkosh back in 2008 from the time shortly before I arrived at FISKE to after I turned off the runway, some wonder pilot flying a Hawker was arguing with ATC that he didn't have to abide by the NOTAM since he wasn't participating in Airventure.

Sheesh!

By that Logic, I don't have to abide with any "Notams for Camp David", if I am not taking part in talks with the President at Camp David !!

That aside, agrueing with ATC (over the radio ) is one sure way to end one's flying career.

Geoff